Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Been hanging around here a while, finally joined.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Meklorka

Meklorka

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a super busy person who rarely joins anything because its hard for me to find the time to stay involved, but I have really enjoyed the troubleshooting advice I have seen here over the years and learned a lot. I'm kind of an intermediate user - I used to make hardware modifiatons/repairs back when I and other people were still using desktops, and have always helped other people with their computer problems, but I'm not some super advanced genius who dreams in code or anything :) I run into a lot of discrimination because I'm a woman... other people (even those who don't work in tech) often assume I know nothing about tech or computers because I'm a woman. And often when I prove them wrong (nicely, and through actions rather than words) they still can't bring themselves to acknowledge I know what's up. When I was younger it used to be the opposite - people would assume because I was young I could help them with any and all tech problems. Now that I'm older, its completely different. People often rely on me to help with tech issues (at school/work our IT takes so long to respond and is so unhelpful that people will rely upon me for stuff in the moment that has to be resolved ASAP) but its kind of a thankless job. I'm also almost completely self taught, so I also don't always have the correct terms for everything, which doesn't help. A lot of people who have benefitted from my services have suggested over the years that I go into business fixing computers, but I honestly just don't want to face that kind of discrimination all the time and have it risk my ability to provide for my family. People seem legit here, so hopefully it wont be an issue (though so much of bias is unconscious)!

I'm definately coming here with a learning mind and I know what my limits are (MACS! dont touch them, haha) and actually have my first computer issue which has me a little stumped (will post about that elsewhere!). I hope to learn a lot more and hopefully to be of help where I can. And to be less verbose! Haha, long intro, I know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users