Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hard drive error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MY_COMPUTER_SUCKS

MY_COMPUTER_SUCKS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

I tried to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1. I originally had Windows 7 installed.

After booting to the Windows 8.1 disk and getting to the page to select the partition to install 8.1 on my computer decides to basically tell me to 'suck my mom' and throws me an error:

Error:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. The EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"

I have no idea how to fix and would appreciate any help given!

Thanks, Kez. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

If you're new to UEFI, you're in for a real education.  I've been struggling with getting the nuances of it through my skull the last couple of years and I'll just say it's very new and different from anything you've seen with earlier versions of Windows.  If you want a link for some info, you could start with Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uefi .  The purpose for this change is better security, but a lot of us think it's too much of a good thing!   :unsure:

I have Windows 8.1 installed on two desktops at home and 4 that I support where I do volunteer work.  I hasten to add that I started with Windows 8.0 pro on systems already running Windows 7.  Then I created a new partition for Windows 8 and the install went smoothly - I didn't get anything like the error you mention, but maybe if you start out with an 8.1 disc, that's changed.  Anyway I've been able to upgrade to 8.1 and all the subsequent updates without problems.  

So if you have the hard drive space, try creating a new partition for Windows 8.1 and see if you can install it in that.  That will give you a dual boot setup where each OS can see the other's partition.  I'd sure be interested to know how you make out if you try it.  Here's a link to what Microsoft says about it

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2481490/en-us .  It suggests you're using UEFI to boot instead of the legacy BIOS.  If you can switch back to booting with BIOS (which is what I did), you may be able to get around the problem.

In the mean time I'll see if I can find out more about this message and how to deal with it.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 07 July 2014 - 03:04 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Your Windows 7 install had an MBR disk. You will need to make it GPT.

You can do this with the Gparted Live Disk. Download Gparted Live. Burn the iso file. Boot the disk. Run Gparted. In the dropdown box in the upper right of the window, select your disk. Make sure it is the one you wish to install Windows 8 on if it is a desktop with multiple drives.

6fAIt.jpg

In the Menu bar select Device > Create New Partition Table. In the dropdown box the default partition type is ms-dos. Change that to GPT and click Apply. Do not enable legacy in BIOS. Keep it EFI. After it finishes, reboot with the Windows 8 install disk and you should be good to go.

figure002.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 July 2014 - 04:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users