Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Screws.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

I put this in hardware because it is the closest category I can think of for this problem. I was opening a Dell Inspiron 1526 to replace the CMOS battery. While putting it back together, I realized that the screws that hold the lcd screen in place had come out with the piece that they screw into (not sure what it is called). I have never encountered this problem before. Does anyone know what this piece is called so that I can further research what to do or has anyone ever encountered this problem and have any advice? I was wondering if you could glue the things back in but really not sure..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

It might be the hinge if it was the lcd assembly. Hinges can be replaced for relatively cheap. If you can take a picture and post that here, I can tell you for certain what the part is.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

If it is like a plastic collar that the screw went into you could probably crazy glue it.. Being careful not to over tighten the install.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

Yes it was the screw collar I believe. It came out with the screw still in it which is very puzzling. So you think crazy glue would be safe?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Unfortunately that implies that screwpoint was under pressure .. Try to See which way it lines up. then glue it an wait a few hours for curing before screwing it back.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

How much crazy glue do you think is enough? I am very nervous about further messing anything up.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Those are brass threaded insets into the plartic case.  If they get over tightened, they will be forced out of the plastic.  Try to un-thread it from the screw and put back in place if the plastic mount is still intact.  If the plastic is broken you can try to glue things back together but it never worked for me.  Order a replacement case,  top half only, not the bezel.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

The only glue I have ever had luck with when replacing the brass screw inserts was shoe goo. Strange I know! I have tried super glue, hot glue, epoxies and plastic glues. None of them ever held (epoxy wasn't bad it worked sometimes) but not if it was a hinge related screw. I figured if a glue worked on shoes that flex and bend all the time why not try it on a computer. The other better option mjd420nova already mentioned, replace the entire plastic piece.

Edited by zingo156, 07 July 2014 - 06:38 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

If those case parts are not available, a soldering iron, some scrap plastic might allow you to rebuild the mount.  The iron should only be hot enough to melt the plastic, not burn it.  A variac helps control the temp.

#10 joecartoonfn

joecartoonfn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I tried crazy glue and it really just made things worse. I ordered a new base and screws (because the screws wouldnt come out of the collars) so I'm guessin I'll have to move the motherboard from the original base over. I'll look and see if there is a youtube that shows how to do that. I'll report back how it goes, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users