Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Youtube troubles (again)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 enfant terrible

enfant terrible

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

I am having problems with youtube. I'm having choppy playback and long loading times. On this thread, I got a suggetion that I should run CCCleaner, which worked--for a little while. Then, I got some advice that I should delete flash from my computer and re-download it. I did that also and that also worked--for a little while. But now I'm back to square one. The problem isn't as bad as I originally deiscribed on the first thread, since the videos always load now; it's just that they often take 20-30 seconds to do so, which isn't normal. Another thing I noticed is that whern i click the little sprocket icon at the bottom right of the video that lets you choose the resolution, oftentimes, one or two resolutions will be unavailable: the numbers will be in very light gray instead of darker gray like the others and you can't select them. That's very wierd.

TIA for any help anyone can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hi,

Those cleanup actions you took earlier aren't 'one time fixes'. They are things you need to do on a regular basis. Trash seems to accumulate even with the system turned off. Visiting YouTube is a place where the trash seems to be thicker and cleanups more necessary. Additionally, you need to have a good security program installed, current and scans run on a regular basis. The Internet isn't a really nice neighborhood, it's more of a 'hood'. The bad guys and gals are very busy and infections are being released by the thousands daily.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Those cleanup actions you took earlier aren't 'one time fixes'.

I know that, but it was less than amonth previous to posting this current thread that I did those fixes. Certainly, they should last longer than that.

Additionally, you need to have a good security program installed, current and scans run on a regular basis. The Internet isn't a really nice neighborhood, it's more of a 'hood'. The bad guys and gals are very busy and infections are being released by the thousands daily.

I know that. I have both malwarebytes and bitdefender installed. Bitdefender is said to be the best free AV available and it automatically runs scans periodically. It found something the other day and quarantined it. I recently ran a malwarbytes scan but it found nothing.

In any case, I'm going to install SlimCleaner and run it and see if that helps. But will that interfere with CCCleaner or Vit Registry Fix? I have both of those installed too.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

"I know that, but it was less than a month previous to posting this current thread that I did those fixes. Certainly, they should last longer than that."

Those cleanup actions will last a session or two at best.

Be careful with your security programs. Be sure you have only ONE that has an active scanner. Security software, regardless of vendor, works in a similar manner and often the various programs like to occupy the same places. When two, or more, are present you can have reduced protection, gaps because the various programs are blocking each other or even crashes as they attempt to identify the other security program as a threat.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

It occurs to me that some programs which are borderline Spyware (and not picked up by anti-virus) target the big websites because they are often visited. What might you have installed that could be affecting both Firefox and Google Chrome and targetting Youtube? Maybe there's a toolbar which is installed in both browsers (It may be hidden from view)

#6 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Be careful with your security programs. Be sure you have only ONE that has an active scanner. Security software, regardless of vendor, works in a similar manner and often the various programs like to occupy the same places. When two, or more, are present you can have reduced protection, gaps because the various programs are blocking each other or even crashes as they attempt to identify the other security program as a threat.

I am aware of this issue and researched it carefully before installing malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is complementary to, and does not interfere with, most AV programs:

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/08/malwarebytes-av-compatibility-report/

Edited by enfant terrible, 13 July 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

I have read both sides of the discussion and still fall on the side of caution and only keep one active scanner on my system. I mention the possibility as it has happened and continues to happen.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users