Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win7 [x86] user account cfg trouble

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 swiftwstyle

swiftwstyle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Hiya,

I am a little bit stuck... Have tried a lot but to no avail I have 'eventually' registered (already was frequent visitor to read this forum) to get some needed

help to get it working as using the tutorials (rarely fails) here still not working like it should. This pc is to help a friend with kids to use separate accounts.

System is an old 32 bit pc (old i5 cpu,msi board and hd radeon 4850). Everything works fine as long as I use the main admin account but I have trouble with creating and configuring a user account. The main account has two firefox profiles. In the user account (runs in admin mode to cfg) I tried to create a new firefox profile to use but it fails as I cannot write profile to *any* folder...

Also have sandboxie installed which is also perfectly working in the main account (forcing firefox browser sandboxed). If I start the 'run browser sandboxed' icon on desktop in the user account it starts internet explorer (which isnt the default browser) probably because firefox doesnt have a profile to start.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

info in sandboxie icon to start:

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" default_browser

Run the default web browser under the supervision of Sandboxie

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any help is appreciated.. :-)

cheers,

Sabine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swiftwstyle

swiftwstyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

Sigh,finally found a solution to my (profile) problem with firefox. Disabling the 'force firefox to run in this sandbox' in sandboxie settings made things work again. Afterwards enable.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Glad you resolved it :).

FWIW:  I3, I5, I7 CPUs...are all 64-bit, along with some down to Pentium D level.  It's the OSes which can be 32-bit and 64-bit :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

#4 swiftwstyle

swiftwstyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

and Im back,hello again... ;-)

Good progress,but I'm really stuck now. Ive got two user accounts and they are both admin for now but one has to become user-account. So far so good. The browser in sandboxie on the limited user account works flawlessly but the problem Im stuck at is the rights on parental control and certain programs/directories adjusting rights.  (using win 7 home premium)

Is there any detailed tutorial about configuring/limiting/elevating rights for certain programs/directories (games/utilities) in windows 7? It's a bit confusing tbh.. :s

cheers

Sabine

----------

Edited by swiftwstyle, 08 July 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Exactly...what are you trying to do...what is it that is the expected final result of your actions?

Louis

#6 swiftwstyle

swiftwstyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

Sorry,I will try to explain.

I have created one more account on the windows 7 pc,so I have two accounts. Both are administrator for now,but one will get the status user account after adjustments are done.

The first is admin and will have full rights protected with password. The second account is for kids protected with password and will have limited rights . In windows 7 home premium (configuration screen) there is an option 'useraccounts', an 'option parental control' and rightclick on a file or folder (tab > security) to adjust access-rights (this is the most confusing) for a particular folder/file.

What I want to do: To make sure the second (user)account starts windows and let them play a game without giving them access to things they don't need/can give trouble to the system. Eset, malwarebytes, sandboxie all run fine without questions. They should only have access to certain parts of the internet at certain times of the day (thats working fine via eset btw). They should also have access to a few small games I have installed (the game icons are on desktop). Have tried several things but they were still not allowed to play or the game stopped loading ...but I cant remember it well so I'll leave that out.

Enough access to make it work for them,not more not less.

hope this clears a bit

thank you ;-)

Sabine

Edited by swiftwstyle, 09 July 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

The good part...is that I now understand what direction you are heading :).  The bad part is that I myself has no experience/expertise that I could share with you on how to handle this.

But...the other forum members likely do have such, so just be a little patient until a more knowledgeable member replies.

Louis

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Hello.

I am a bit rusty when it comes to this user account rights department.

First I have to ask, which attempt are you making to give your children access to specific programs and games?

A. Through their user account.

Or

B. By right clicking the program's executable and choosing PROPERTIES

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 swiftwstyle

swiftwstyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

The good part...is that I now understand what direction you are heading :).  The bad part is that I myself has no experience/expertise that I could share with you on how to handle this.

But...the other forum members likely do have such, so just be a little patient until a more knowledgeable member replies.

Louis

Thank you,Louis :)

Hello.

I am a bit rusty when it comes to this user account rights department.

First I have to ask, which attempt are you making to give your children access to specific programs and games?

A. Through their user account.

Or

B. By right clicking the program's executable and choosing PROPERTIES

Bruce.

hello Bruce,

The kids like to play a game.. they know how to doubleclick (they are 5 and 7 year old),so a simple 'allow' the games to run by a doubleclick while other things [other than the installed games or the limited browser] are not allowed or require at least admin rights. As long as they cant mess up things it's okay.

I don't know which option A or B is best for this. I would like to say: the most safe option please.

thanks

Sabine

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

Okay.

When user accounts are created where limited access is allowed, (such as guest accounts) Windows 7 often asks for Administrator Account intervention before anything is allowed to take control of the computer system.

Specific programs can be set so all users are able to access the program and do so without Administrator intervention every time the program is started or attempts to make changes to files on your hard drive. This includes game saves, when one wishes to save a game at a specific point so as not to lose what has been accomplished so far along the way.

If you have created an account for your children, lets say you named the account Children in the user account settings. Now if you was to go into the folder a game is installed in, let's say for clarity, the game is called Cookie Monster's Cookie Count Game and the game is installed in C:\Program Files\CTW\ (CWT stand for Children's Television Workshop) Now inside that CWT folder may be where the game's executable file is located and it might be named something like Cookie.exe Now some games create a desktop shortcut, which is tided to the executable that starts the game. Right clicking this executable and choosing properties shows where the executable file is installed. Knowing this information makes it easier to know where to look.

Once you locate the executable file which ends with an .exe file type and is the key file to starting a game or program up, you can RIGHT click this executable and in a resulting menu look for Properties.

The Security tab is where we want to venture next so we can change who has access to that executable file. It is like changing ownership of it to allow more than one person to access it and allow it to make temporary changes to your computer system without the Administrator having to say it is okay.

Under the Security tab, you will see such names as System also Administrator and also the account called Children.

The Children account is the one you'll see the least amount of permissions checked off, if any at all, for that program's executable. It is here where we need to change this by adding a few check marks to allow that account full permissions to run and save the game by your children's user account.

This can only be done by an Administrator account, so you must be logged in as the system Administrator in order to make these changes.

Make sure you save the changes and your children should now have full control over the game just as you do as the Administrator account. As you stated, you would make sure their program would not be lethal enough to cause damage to your operating system and it's file structure.

So, if you trust the program and know it can not harm your system in any way, it should be okay to give your children FULL permissions to access and run it without your intervening every time.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 swiftwstyle

swiftwstyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

All is working well now,well one program didnt but I have removed that one. :clapping:  Tbh,I was adjusting far too many things before I asked for help.  :-) Thank you Bruce,thank you Louis for the help.

cheers,

Sabine

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

All credit to Bruce, :thumbup2: .

Louis

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

You're welcome and thank you for choosing Bleeping Computer for help and assistance.

:thumbup2:

Bruce.

Edit: Corrected Punctuation.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 July 2014 - 06:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users