Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ping phone from computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kudue

Kudue

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hello everybody!
I was wondering if it is possible to ping a cell phone from your own computer?
I was looking around on the internet, but it all seemed to be the same thing about contact your cell phone provider or install a software on the phone. But let us say the problem is the phone is lost, and you want to find it yourself.

Have a nice day!

Edited by Andrew, 07 July 2014 - 12:36 PM.
Mod edit: moved to Cell Phones forum - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

The short answer is most likely no unless you have installed a find my phone app of some sort. If your OS is Android, there may still be hope...

You can try these steps: http://trendblog.net/how-to-track-your-lost-android-phone-without-tracking-app/

Most modern phones that use LTE or 4G cellular data use a private ip not a public facing ip (unless you buy a static ip from the provider). There are 3rd party apps to find the phone but you would have had to install that before losing the phone. Even if you could ping the phone via ping command, a ping command would not locate the device.

For android I have used: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsp.android.phonetracker&hl=en

For apple devices, just enable find my iphone and log into apples website to locate the device.

Edited by zingo156, 07 July 2014 - 01:02 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Is this a smart phone or a feature phone? If it's an Android you would need software to enable it to be pinged in the first place. So yes you need to download something. They aren't automagically enabled to be pinged by the user from a computer.

Google has Android Device Manager: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.adm&hl=en

There are other third party apps as well. I personally have Cerberus.

Never used an iAnything so I can't help you there.

I know of no way a feature phone can be pinged except by law enforcement or the carrier.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:14 AM

Silent Circle is selling a phone now that does all of that and more.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/tech-news/silent-circle-announces-security-first-smartphone-16384335?click=main_sr

OTR (off the record) is a new and very good one for IMs

Popular Mechanics wrote a great issue about digital privacy.

Here is the link for one of the articles, you can link to other from at the bottom of the article

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/computer-security/7-ways-to-reclaim-your-digital-privacy-16453529-2

more questions please ask

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 ShadowHunter1

ShadowHunter1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

If your phone is connected to the same local network as your computer and you know the IP address of your phone you can ping it from a command prompt. My phone is setup with a static IP which was useful the otherday when I thought I had left my phone at the office. I couldn't call it because I leave it on silent most of the time. A ping from my computer revealed it was on the property somewhere. And when my wife took my car out I couldn't ping it anymore which indicated it could be in the car. With futher hunting I found it in the pocket of the drivers door!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users