Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot start some application, Explorer.exe has high CPU usage.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RyanRes

RyanRes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

Solved.

Hello,

This problem has occured today. I cannot start some applications (they do not fully run) and I cannot end them (they show up on taskmanager with low memory which doesn't change).

When I start some applications explorer.exe then goes into high usage until I restart my computer.

This is what Process Monitor shows once I try to start a problem program and exporer goes into high cpu usage:
1dcf62578e.png

It loops like this constantly, I cannot exit the problem application through the taskmanager.

I can exit explorer but if I do, it will delete the taskbar but explorer will stay up and running with high cpu.

Edit: I noticed this when I tried to run League of Legends (program which was already installed). it would not start and I couldn't end the task, and explorer.exe began taking up an uncommon amount of cpu usage. I uninstalled the game (through Revo because the uninstaller wouldn't come up either). I couldn't start the installer to reinstall it, same thing happened.

This happened when I tried to run some other applications too and doesn't just happen with League of Legends.

Need help.

EDIT:

I cannot restore my system through System Restore. Even though I made many restores and made them frequently..even made some earlier today when I look I cannot find them in System Volume Information and they don't show up on the Restore Points list.

Edited by RyanRes, 07 July 2014 - 09:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Here're a couple of things to try that won't take a whole lot of time.  First download Malwarebytes from here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ , install it get it up to date and do a scan.  After the scan completes, click the Quarantine All button and then follow the onscreen instructions.  

After running Malwarebytes, let's run SFC.  Click Start and type CMD in the search box.  Then right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator.  From the command prompt type sfc /scannow.  That will check for and attempt to correct corrupt system files.

Finally download Speccy e from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/ , install and run it.  After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.  

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 RyanRes

RyanRes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

I tried running chkdsk and scf /scannow with my computer fully booted, everything returned saying it was OK (the problem wasn't fixed).

I solved the issue with the following solution I found somewhere else.

Solved:

"Ok - I would still run Error Checking.
Rght click My Computer > Open
Right click - Local disk - should be C:
Click Properties.

Tools>Error checking.
Etc etc.
Let us know if the CPU stays 90% approx - it will of course go up and down depending on what programs, applications are in use."

/Quote Ended

The program startup as regular and explorer maintains its regular cpu usage.

Edited by RyanRes, 07 July 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Good to hear you got it fixed, thanks for the feedback.  Since chkdsk fixed the problem, we know that you had some kind of problem with that hard drive, so you might want to keep an eye on it.  You might want to download disk diagnostics from Seagate or Western Digital and run them to see what the SMART data says.  That can give an indication if the drive is likely to have future problems.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users