Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp System Restore

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Joeman003

Joeman003

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:18 PM

Every time I try to use the system restore, it says that the system restoration failed. I tried to go back to the earliest time available, but that also didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 11:06 PM

First of all, tell us why you're using System Restore. (Just in case it's something that can be fixed another way.) Also, have you changed any hardware?

#3 Joeman003

Joeman003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:43 AM

originally I was using system restore to get rid of the installed components of AOL explorer. I've removed AOL explorer completely, but noticed that the system restore wasn't working during the process. I thought that having system restore not available (or at least working properly) was a bad thing in case something happened to my computer in the future.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:33 PM

Yes, it is a bad thing.

First check to make sure you have enough room for System Restore to work, then make sure it is enabled.

Did you use add/remove programs to remove AOL or did you just try to do it by reverting to a previous restore point?

Do you notice anything else that is not working properly?

#5 Joeman003

Joeman003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:50 PM

as far as I know I have the disk space set to 12% availability, the maximum in the control panel for S.R. I've been having a problem with "Spy Falcon" spyware (another post on bleeping computer) but that problem occured much after the system restore problem. To answer your question about AOL explorer when I performed the "uninstall" it didn't completely remove all elements of it (I had random bars here and there in my regular explore) so I tried to use S.R. to rid the computer of it, but it failed...repeatedly

#6 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

as far as I know I have the disk space set to 12% availability, the maximum in the control panel for S.R. I've been having a problem with "Spy Falcon" spyware (another post on bleeping computer) but that problem occured much after the system restore problem. To answer your question about AOL explorer when I performed the "uninstall" it didn't completely remove all elements of it (I had random bars here and there in my regular explore) so I tried to use S.R. to rid the computer of it, but it failed...repeatedly

The "Spy Falcon" problem should be dealt with first I'd think, and then fix the problem with getting AOL out of your system. You would think AOL would have a procedure for "complete removal" of their browser at their website. :thumbsup:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:22 PM

Try booting into safe mode and use "Last known good configuration".

Let us know.

#8 Joeman003

Joeman003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:11 PM

I tired to do it in safe mode, but I didn't see where the option "last known good configuration" was. Do you know where to find it?

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:18 PM

If you are using Windows XP it should be in your safe mode menu.

To enter safe mode boot your computer and start tappinf F8 as soon as your computer begins to post, before Windows starts.

#10 Joeman003

Joeman003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

The problem is still around...please help if you can

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users