Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB in car

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 zandtao

zandtao

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Dear Forum,

I have no idea where to begin asking for help with this, so I have started with Bleeping Computer. Please refer me appropriately.

I have been driving a motorbike for 8 years, have just bought a new car - Mazda BT50, and because I am in Thailand and cannot speak Thai I cannot discuss with the showroom who usually try to be helpful. The car has a CD player which has USB as auxiliary input. They pushed in a thumb drive that might have done some initiaIisation. I want to play my MP3's so I loaded a few music folders onto a thumb drive, and it plays each track in turn. Some tracks it gives invalid format, and moves onto the next.

So I had a spare computer hard drive, put it in a USB box - don't know what they are called, could read the drive on my computer, plugged it into the car system and nothing happened.

Two questions:- what format for music is not invalid?

Does my bigger USB drive need some different kind of operating system/ format to work in the car?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best,

BillZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hi,

Can you play music using your USB hard drive when connected to a computer? In other words, have you confirmed that that configuration will work.

As for the 'invalid format' I can't guess. When you load music on the drive you know the sequence. When it plays do the same selections always get skipped as being invalid? If so, is there a pattern or is it totally random?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 zandtao

zandtao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

Dicke,

Thanks for the reply.

Quick response, no solid info yet.

I didn't check whether I could play music from the hard drive - I had no reason to think I couldn't I have used such boxes before. I will check for completeness. I have non-music files on that same hard drive, could that confuse the cd-player in the car?

I think the files are the same ones, I will have to be more scientific and check. To be honest I think they are all the same formats, I will have to check that as well.

Please be patient, I will get back to you and thanks again for your help.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best,

BillZ

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

BillZ,

Text/data files mixed with music files could confuse me, pity the poor player that can't read the extensions.

I don't play that much music in the car but I'm thinking that it will take at lease a separate folder, or maybe partition, to keep the MP3s and the DOCs separated enough to prevent confusion by the player. [that's only a guess on my part] It may be necessary to keep everything but MP3 off that drive for it to work correctly with the player in the car

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 zandtao

zandtao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:36 AM

Hi Dicke,

Good questions. Have just discovered that on the thumb drive what I thought were mp3 files were in fact wma files - somehow a few had sneaked in. Have converted them and will check in the car tomorrow.

Next .... checking the other drive.

#6 zandtao

zandtao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

It appears that .flac files work in the car, but will confirm tomorrow.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

We have a plan :thumbsup:

Dick E

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

A lot of the new media car stereo's will only read mp3 or wma, I have one that only plays those 2 formats. mpegs, and all other formats will not play and be skipped as you mention.

When you say an older spare computer hard drive you put into an external enclosure, was it a laptop drive or desktop drive? All desktop drives I have ever seen require extra power from a 12volt power plug, some laptop hard drives require more amperage than a single usb port can provide and often make use of 2 usb ports to get extra power to run. If the drive powers on and spins, it could be a format issue. If the drive came from a windows machine it may be NTFS and possibly the car only reads FAT format.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#9 zandtao

zandtao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

Zingo - interesting.

Thumb drive - I discovered that my car won't play wma. I think they played flac and will check tomorrow. Format factory would not convert some wma files to mp3 so that's why I used flac.

The big drive came from a laptop, and the music plays from it. I created a partition for the non-music data. The enclosure has 2 usb cables but works off one on my computer. It was windows and the drives (2 partitions) are now ntfs. Convert it to FAT?

Also tomorrow I will listen to see of the drive is spinning so maybe then format? the car gave a message when I pressed the aux button - something like line active and then nothing happened. Maybe that suggests a format issue as well.

More details tomorrow.

Why would the car format be FAT? 

I also have 7mb unallocated space, is that a problem?

#10 zandtao

zandtao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

I have changed the partitions on the big drive (ex-laptop) to FAT32.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

Unallocated space should not be a problem. Most usb thumb drives are formatted fat by default, most likely to be compatible with mac and windows. It might make sense that the car stereos use fat by default as well.

Backup data before formatting. If the drive works off 1 usb port, I assume it should work with the car stereo.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#12 zandtao

zandtao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

Disappointing today.

The large hard drive formatted as FAT was a non-starter. Plugged it in, red light flashed, the cd dash said "line in active", heard a repeated sound as if the drive was seeking but that was it. I suspect the car did not support the drive which needed 2 USB ports. Maybe the residual boot sector of the laptop (not sure what that means) on the drive prevents it playing in the car. How do I completely format the drive? Perhaps if I had a drive that is external only but I'm not that bothered to pay for it.

I was also mistaken, the FLAC tracks did not play. The dash shows MP3 when it is playing MP3 tracks, and now skips over the flac tracks. Wma tracks played a bit and stopped. I need to convert flac and wma files to mp3. I have been using format factory perhaps another converter is better?

Not sure where to go now? No plan eh, Dicke.

Thanks for your help though, it was worth trying.

Edited by zandtao, 11 July 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

With modern flash drives as cheap and large as they are, I wouldn't bother much with a hard drive.

If you wiped all of the partitions off the computer hard drive and then created a fat32 partition, there should be no boot information left on the drive. My best guess is that the stereo doesn't support a hard drive, you could check what format the usb thumb drive is and then change the hard drive to be the same.

When I bought my new indash media stereo, I also bought a 32GB sandisk cruzer usb drive. It is usb 2.0 so it's not all that fast for copies but it is very small. You can find that here: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive--SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B005FYNSZA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405082233&sr=8-2&keywords=sandisk+cruzer

They offer different sizes up to 64GB on that model. There are also 128GB and 256GB flash drives. Those are quite a bit more expensive.

#14 zandtao

zandtao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Zingo, you're right I'm probably wasting my time when I could pickup a cheap flash drive.

I am going to try one more thing. I will wipe and erase the hard drive, then make it FAT then put on the partitions. I didn't do that before.

Thanks for the advice.

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Make sure you backup any data on the drive before repartition or wipe if you need it.

Edited by zingo156, 11 July 2014 - 08:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users