Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kboaz2001

kboaz2001

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

I have installed Windows 7 over a Windows XP hard disk. It seemed to take, but when I boot up the computer I get the error message that my startup files are not working. I then get the option to go to startup repair, choose it, but the computer cannot automaticlly fix the startup problem. What aree my options?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Here're a couple of things to check.  First make sure that the drivers you have are only the ones that came from your computer manufacturer.  You might want to check Device Manager to see if there're any entries with ! or ? to the left of them.  Also run MSCONFIG and click the Startup tab.  There you will see a list of things Windows will try to start automatically when you boot up.  You can uncheck any of these except for your antivirus program.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

As far as I know...you cannot install Win 7 "over XP".

They are 2 different O/Ses and the upgrade version of Win 7 calls for a clean install.

Do you have a valid license to install Win 7?  Did you check the system hardware for compatibility with Win 7?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

What is the exact error message you receive when you start Windows?

Did you run Microsoft's Compatibility Advisor or at least check to make sure that this computer is compatible with Windows 7?

What is the make and model of this computer?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

If you haven't installed any other programs since the installation there shouldn't be any items in the startup which aren't part of Windows.  If this is the case you won't accomplish anything by using the System Configuration to disable items in the startup.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

As far as I know...you cannot install Win 7 "over XP".

You can install Windows 7 over Windows XP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

"To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason."

From the Intro section of that link.  A custom install results in a clean install, as opposed to previous "upgrade" installs which preserve various aspects of earlier version installs.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users