Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 - Won't boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 midpas

midpas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:36 AM

Hi, I tried installing the game Wildstar the other day, but the patch kept failing, so i followed the instructions on their website to disable any/all background programs through MSCONFIG. I tried a couple of times but no luck. the last time i tried, it asked for a restart (it had asked for them before - so i knew it wasn't going to be a problem) but this time, the computer wouldn't restart. It would beep, go to a black screen, the windows icons would appear with a circle or white dots and would be black once again. I kept doing a hard restart, I was able to access the boot menu through F12, and boot from the Windows 8.1 installation disc but when i would try to update it, it would stay on the Setup is starting screen for a good 20-30mins and when I would put the product key in it tells me to remove the installation media and restart the computer without it. No luck though. Also, I've tried every type of system restore/repair, through the installation disc boot up menu but nothing seems to work, i get a lot to Automatic Repair, but nothing seems to do the trick. This has happened before when i tried installing Civilisation V a couple of months ago, but I was able to reinstall windows 8.1, and all of my old files and folders were put into a Windows.old folder, but I can't remember exactly what i did to make it work. Any type of help would be useful. *Computer runs a GIGABYTE Touch BIOS (if that helps) -- EDIT: A Windows Setup window just appeared prompting me to Load a driver, "A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD or USB flash driver with the driver on it, please insert it now. Note: If the installation media for Windows is in the DVD drive or a USB driven you can safely remove it for this step."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

Welcome,

If this is a desktop try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes AFTER you disconnect the power cable.

Then replace the battery and the power cable and try to restart

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

Welcome,

If this is a desktop try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes AFTER you disconnect the power cable.

Keep us posted

Welcome,

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:31 AM