Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME, RAW File System, corrupted MFT

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ProblemSolver21

ProblemSolver21

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:45 AM

My system is the following:

Gateway MX3562 Laptop

100 GB Hard Drive: Hitachi HTS541010G9AT00

I was running a couple of excel spreadsheets, and I left the laptop on through the night.  The next day, I noticed my laptop was off; thus, I turned it on, and I was given the list of choices to start Windows, which I chose to start Windows Normally.  I, then, noticed that Windows tried to boot up, but a blue screen showed up for a second, then it all went back to the same point showing the list again.

I then set my camera to record the boot up process, after which I was able to obtain the actual error message showing the blue screen, which read:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you are seeing this stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.  If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x867469E0, 0xC0........)

These have been the steps I took:

1) Since it was the 1st time I saw this error screen, I turned the laptop off, and restarted it ==> nothing changed, after trying to boot to windows normally, it all went back to the same loop.

2) Since I did not install new hardware or software, I know the 2nd suggestion did not apply.

3) I tried to load to Safe Mode, but after its attempt to load all windows files, it hanged at agpcpq.sys; the same occurs when I choose to load to last known good configuration, or any other mode.

4) I downloaded Ubuntu 11.10.ISO, then got to mount the damaged drive in Ubuntu; thus, I copied all the files from my Hard Drive to an external Hard Drive, except 8 excel files.  In fact, I could see the folder, but I couldn't see any of the 8 excel files that were in this folder.

5) I read a Windows XP Microsoft solution, and it suggested to run chkdsk from the Recovery Console of the Windows XP CD.  Since, at the time, I didn't have it, I downloaded Hiren's CD and run miniXP.  First I tried to mount all the drives through myComputer from miniXP, but the c: drive did not mount, then, I run chkdsk from it; it was 3 steps, in which process the following was reported:

File record segment 164 is unreadable

File record segment 165 is unreadable

File record segment 166 is unreadable

File record segment 167 is unreadable

File record segment 416 is unreadable

File record segment 417 is unreadable

File record segment 418 is unreadable

File record segment 419 is unreadable

File record segment 696 is unreadable

File record segment 697 is unreadable

File record segment 698 is unreadable

File record segment 699 is unreadable

Deleting an index entry from index $0 of file 25

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 55468

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 55468

Sorting index $I30 in file 55468

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 76186

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 76186

Sorting index $I30 in file 76186

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 87580

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 87580

Sorting index $I30 in file 87580

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 96554

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 96554

Sorting index $I30 in file 96554

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 114226

Correcting error in index $I30 for file 114226

Sorting index $I30 in file 114226

6) I then tried to load to windows normally, but it didn't go anywhere, the same loop showed up.

7) After more research, on the Microsoft website, I read to run chkdsk /r, thus, I opened a terminal in miniXP.  Since miniXP did not allow me to change from x: to c:, I run chkdsk c: /r (where c: is the damaged drive).  It indicated 5 steps, and reported the following:

Deleting index entry Business Accounts Transactions 07.xlsx in index $I30 of file 9236

Deleting index entry Business ~1.xlsx in index $I30 of file 9236

At step 4 it hanged for over 20 minutes, so I ended it by closing the terminal.

9) I made an image.dd file of my damaged hard drive, but the image.dd file is only about 5 GB and my hard drive has about 40 GB of data; thus, I believe the fact that I can't mount the c: drive is not allowing to image the entire hard drive but just the recovery partition.

8) I then tried to load to windows, but this time as soon as the boot up process starts, I get a message that reads "press cntr-alt-del to restart the computer".

9) I run Partition Editor, and it showed the 2 partitions:

Partition                                  File System     Label           Size             Used          Unused      Flags

/dev/sda1                                FAT32            Recovery       4.51 GB     2.52 GB     1.99 GB

/dev/sda2 (! within a circle)     NTFS                                  88.64 GB       ---                 ---          BOOT

unallocated                             unallocated                         10.34 MB

10) I run TestDisk from PartedMagic, and I noticed the following partition results after quick search:

*   FAT32

P  NTSF

Before I exited, I changed the Boot * to NTSF partition and P to FAT32 partition and selected to write. 

11) I tried to load to windows, and I got the same "cntr-alt-del to restart the computer" message

12) I removed my hard drive and connected to another laptop through IDE to USB cable.  My Windows Vista laptop recognized the partitions, but I could not open the damaged c: partition, which was given a g: name drive by Vista; furthermore, under disk management, it recognized the FAT32 Recovery Partition, but the g: partition was RAW File System.  

13) I came across your site, and followed your suggestions for Partition Editor, TestDisk, and Disk Health, fdisk -l and I got the following:

Under Partition Editor: same as before, the only difference is that now it shows a triangle instead of a circle:

Partition                                  File System     Label           Size             Used          Unused      Flags

/dev/sda1                                FAT32            Recovery       4.51 GB     2.52 GB     1.99 GB

/dev/sda2 (! within a triangle)     NTFS                                  88.64 GB       ---                 ---          BOOT

unallocated                             unallocated                         10.34 MB

Under TestDisk, this time I tried deeper search, but after it read all 12K + sectors, I still could not see any files, so I just exited without choosing write

Under DiskHealth, I got the following:

Identity:

Model Family:                Hitachi Travelstar 5K100

Device Model:                HTS541010G9AT00

Serial Number:               MP208AX0GDT66E

Firmware Version:          MBZOA60A

Capacity:                        100.03 GB [93.16 GiB, 100030242816 bytes]

Sector Size:                    512 bytes logical/physical

In Smartctl Database:     Yes

ATA Version:                  0

Scanned on:                   Sun Jul 6 20:41:03 2014 UTC

SMART Supported:         Yes

SMART Enabled:            Yes

Smartctl Version:         6.0 2012-10-10 r3643

Overall Health Self-Assessment Test:   PASSED

Attributes:

1 (RAW Value) 2752512

5 (RAW Value) 0

197 (RAW Value) 555

Error Log:

SMART Error Log Version: 1

ATA Error Count: 12630 (Note: Usually only the last 5 errors are stored.)

Error #    Lifetime Hours    State                  Type                                       Details

12630     42864                 active or idle      Uncorrectable error in data    3 sectors at LBA = 0x00f0620d = 15753741

12629     42864                 active or idle      Uncorrectable error in data    3 sectors at LBA = 0x00f0620d = 15753741

12628     42864                 active or idle      Uncorrectable error in data    3 sectors at LBA = 0x00f0620d = 15753741

12627     42864                 active or idle      Uncorrectable error in data    3 sectors at LBA = 0x00f0620d = 15753741

12626     42864                 active or idle      Uncorrectable error in data    251 sectors at LBA = 0x00f0620d = 15753741

Results for fdisk -l:

Welcome - Parted Magic (Linux 3.5.6-pmagic)

root@PartedMagic: ~# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders, total 195371568 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0xcba1b13a

Device     Boot             Start                  End           Blocks      Id    System

/dev/sda1                             63          9462284        4731111      b    W95 FAT32

/dev/sda2        *          9462285      195350399     92944057+     7    HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x12345678

Device     Boot             Start                  End           Blocks      Id    System

/dev/sdb1        *                    63      488392064    244196001      c    W95 FAT32 (LBA)

root@PartedMagic: ~#

I believe these are not physical, but logical errors; however, I need confirmation that my hard drive still has the data. Once I recover those 8 spreadsheets, I know I would run the Gateway System Recovery CD and start from scratch.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

It may not be possible to get those 8 spreadsheets back but if there is a chance, use PhotoRec. If you have the drive connected via the adapter, you can download the Windows version  (6.14). Under Options select keep corrupted files. Select only the XLS extensions under folder options. Let it do a scan on the drive.

If you still want to do a DDrescue image, I would download Parted Magic. This is the last free version. The latest is a $5 download. See this guide.  You need to mount the drive that is having the image copied to it but the drive with the 8 files should not be mounted. You would be creating a folder on your recovery drive with at least as much space as the drive you are recovering called Recovery or anything you want. Open that in the partition magic File Manager. In the menu bar select File > Terminal. Then type the following.

ddrescue -d -r3 /dev/sdX1 test.img test.logfile

If it fails, remove the -d switch. sdx1 would be the partition that has the 8 files. (found using the lsblk command in the guide). After the image is created in the recovery foldfer, you boot to Windows and open it with either Testdisk or PhotoRec in the command line.  You can also right click the image file and select Open With. You could also use OSFmount to see if it could mount the partition using the image file. Good Luck.

testdisk_win.exe <Path to> test.img

photorec_win.exe <Path to> test.img

Edit: Testdisk can use the Backup Boot Sector if your Boot Sector is shown as bad in the Advance > Boot menu. You can Repair the MFT but I would do this after creating the image or using PhotoRec on the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 July 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#3 ProblemSolver21

ProblemSolver21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Since I have Hiren's BootCD, I didn't download the suggested newest version of Parted Magic.  I used the Parted Magic program in the CD, which version is 2012 - 10 - 10.

After the run of DDrescue, I got the following:

Welcome - Parted Magic {Linux 3.5.6-pmagic}

root@PartedMagic:/media/sdb1/Recover# ddrecue -d -r3 /dev/sda2 test.img test.logfile

GNU ddrescue 1.16

Press Ctrl-C to interrupt

rescued:       4288 MB,     errsize:       6739 kB,      current rate:     21823 kB/s

ipos:       4294 MB,      errors:          37,          average rate:       9487 kB/s

opos:       4294 MB,              time since last successful read:            0 s

Copying non-tried blocks...

ddrescue: write error: File too large

root@PartedMagic:/media/sdb1/Recover#

As suggested, I haven't yet run ddrescue without -d switch; does this error message indicate something to re-think approach?  My external Hard Drive is a LACIE 233 GB, and the partition to recover is 88.7 GB.  I want to get the image first, then run PhotoRec from it.

I also run  EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 8.0, and I got .xls files; however, when I open them I get the following error message:

The file you are trying to open, 'FILE045.XLS', is in a different format than specified by the file extension.  Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now? (Yes) (No) (Help)

I selected Yes, and it opens a blank page; the folder containing this recovered file states that it is a Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet, and its size is 330 kB.  My original excel files were saved in MS Office Excel 2007, and my Google search on how to open this file is so far fruitless.

Thanks again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

First, I am assuming that sdb1 has at least 89GB free. I believe I know what the problem is with the write fail. Is the sdb1 partition formatted fat32? If it is, it will not write anything larger than 4GB as a single file. The -d switch means direct disk access so this may not work using a USB port. Being that EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 8.0 could not get the xls files in a non-corrupt state, it's possible even ddrescue will not recover them.

Edit: I see from your previous post that sdb1 is Fat32. That will have to change to NTFS if you want to recover the image to that partition.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#5 ProblemSolver21

ProblemSolver21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Thanks again for your help.

Following your suggestion about the external HDD being formatted as FAT32 and not accepting over 4GB as a single file, I decided to use another laptop, an HP HDX Premium Series with Windows Vista Home Premium and 455 GB of HDD, with well over 150 GB of free space, thus, it can more than store the 89 GB partition I am trying to recover. By the way, I connected the HDD with errors using an IDE to USB cable to the HP Laptop.

I booted my laptop in PartedMagic, I created a folder called Recover in the 455 GB parition, and I opened the terminal from that directory.  I was running the ddrescue command fine, however, my laptop turned off.  My mistake! the laptop was running from its battery, thus, I didn't get any warning of battery power.

Then, I booted the HP laptop again in PartedMagic, I created another folder called Recov, and I ran the ddrescue command again from it.

Ddrescue ended with the following message

input file dissapeared

My question is: should I again run ddrescue from the Recover folder, where the recovered partition was being saved before the laptop abruptly turned off?

Thank you.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

I am not sure why ddrescue would say the input file has disappeared but I would delete those Recover and Recov folders and any log files within and start fresh.

#7 ProblemSolver21

ProblemSolver21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I went ahead and deleted both folders: Recover and Recov, with their respective test.img and test.logfile files, and I created a new folder called Recover1, from which I started the terminal and run ddrescue.

After about 15 min or so, the errsize was 94777 MB, which is around both partitions sdb1 4.51 GB and sdb2 88.64 GB, and errsize stayed there until now, over 4 hrs later. Also the message went from splitting bad sectors to retrying bad sectors 1 and now 2.  Time since last successful read 4 h

I am going to wait until retrying bad sectors 3 finishes; do you have any suggestion(s)?

Thank you.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

Sorry for the late reply,

I have no other suggestions. After the 3rd pass, hopefully you will be able to recover your XLS files either using OSFmount if it can find the partition in the image file. If not, I doubt Test Disk would either but give that a try. Last would be using PhotoRec to see if it can recover your files intact. Good Luck.

#9 ProblemSolver21

ProblemSolver21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for your reply.

It took over 8 hrs for ddrescue to finish, and here are the results:

Welcome - Parted Magic {Linux 3.5.6-pmagic}

root@PartedMagic:/media/sda1-ata-WDC_WD5000BEVT-6/Recover1# ddrecue -d -r3 /dev/sdb2 test.img test.logfile

GNU ddrescue 1.16
Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
rescued: 397241 kB,   errsize: 94777 MB,  current rate:     0 B/s
   ipos:  95174 MB,    errors:        5,  average rate: 13641 B/s
   opos:  95174 MB,        time since last successful read:   8 h
Finished
root@PartedMagic:/media/sda1-ata-WDC_WD5000BEVT-6/Recover1#

One situation that I read about online while I was waiting for ddrescue is that, as you can see, the folder Recover1 was created in the 455 GB partition that my HP has, which has the Windows Vista and close to 150 GB of personal data. I read that the image should have been saved in an empty partition because it could damage the data in that partition... I hope I didn't commit auto gol here.

This is what I read:

The procedure involves 3 drives:

1) Your source drive (your damaged hard drive),

2) Your destination drive, this hard drive has to be slightly bigger than the source because it contains the raw image which will occupy the exact same size as your “source” drive, you then need a little extra space for the log files created by DDrescue. This drive must be totally empty or data in it will be overwritten!!!.

3) A drive to extract the raw image to. This drive can be the exact same size or bigger than your original “source” drive, but never smaller. This drive must also be totally empty or the data in it will be overwritten!!!.

- See more at: http://www.geekyprojects.com/storage/how-to-recover-data-even-when-hard-drive-is-damaged/

I will now proceed to mount the image, and I'll report on the other side of this chapter.

Thanks for your good wishes

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

I believe they were talking about a direct ddrescue to a new partition. In effect a sector by sector write of one partition to another. What you did was create a disk image (test.img) which is not the same. If you did the command without the test.img then that would have been bad.

#11 ProblemSolver21

ProblemSolver21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Here once again to report the results.

I used OSFMount and created a new drive (N:) with the files.  By the way, the size of the recovered image was only 397 MB, and my partition to recover is almost 89 GB; in fact, when I was mounting the image, I got a message indicating the following:

The image file size is smaller than the size of the NTSF partition and may not mount properly in Windows.  Do you want to auto correct this?

(YES) To correct disk size 

(NO) To use image size

I selected YES, and once I saw the new created Virtual Drive Mounted, I exited OSFMount.  I then opened Windows Explorer to open the N drive; however, I got a message saying:

N:\ is not accessible.

The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.

I then Dismounted the N drive and Mounted it again and selected NO, and when trying to open it, I got the following message:

You need to format the disk in Drive N: before you can use it.  

Do you want to format it?

[Format Disk] [Cancel]

I didn't select to format it, as I don't know what damage, if any, will be done to the image.

On my 1st posting, I indicated that I had created an image.dd of the failed drive, but this image was only about 5 GB.  Well, I used OSFMount with this image, and same scenario as above.

Here are the PhotoRec results:

PhotoRec 6.14 Data Recovery Utility, July 2013

Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>

http://www.cgsecurity.org

PhotoRec has been unable to create new file.

This problem may be due to antivirus blocking write access while scanning files.

If possible, temporary disable your antivirus live protection. 

>[continue] continue the recovery.

[abort] abort the recovery.

I can't believe that an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error is doing all of this; there has to be a solution.  I spoke with a tech at a repair shop, and he said that they have certain tools to recover the data, but he couldn't tell me because that is his business... I only wonder.

Thank you so much for your time and ongoing suggestions.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

For Photorec for Windows, right click the image file select open with and pick PhotoRec. Does it give the same error?

Have you tried running Testdisk on the image file?

testdisk_win.exe <Path to> test.img

If that does not work, then I am pretty much out of ideas. Sorry. You may need to send the drive to a professional data recovery service which is not cheap.

Edit: Only being able to recover 397MB from a 89GB partition tells me the file system is either totally corrupted or the hard drive is failing but I believe in your first post, the drive checked out okay. I don't believe you would be able to use Test Disk on this image.

Edit Edit: I know you used Easeus to recover the xls files that did not open but have you tried using PhotoRec on the hard drive? Under Folder Options, only select the XLS extension and let PhotoRec scan the orginal partition. Another thing. When you ran testdisk on the partition, did you go to Advanced >Boot. In that section is a way to restore the backup MFT table. You might want to give that a go.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 July 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

I am doing a double post here because there is one software i know of that may have the possiblity of getting your info back but it is not cheap. There is a trial version and it let you see if the files or partitions are detected and recoverable. I believe it also offers a refund if it does not work but I am not positive. It is DiskInternals Partition Recovery. $150.

http://www.diskinternals.com/partition-recovery/

#14 ProblemSolver21

ProblemSolver21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Thank you again for your assistance.

I went ahead and used PhotoRec on the Hard Drive; here are the results:

PhotoRec 6.14, Data Recovery Utility, July 2013

Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>

http://www.cgsecurity.org

Disk /dev/sdb - 100 GB / 93 GiB (RO) - HTS54101 0G9AT00

Partition                              Start                 End        Size in sectors

2 *    HPFS - NTFS               589   0   1   12159  254  63     185888115

Pass 1 - Reading Sector     469896/185888115, 182 files found

Elapsed time 7h03m55s - Estimated time to completion 2787h55m02

doc: 182 recovered

Stop 

I went ahead and opened the xls files, and, unfortunately, none of them are what I am missing.  I noticed that some recovered files were intact, and others were corrupted; yet, the fact that I could get some files fine tells me that the HDD is not damaged . Soon after I started running PhotoRec, the 182 files were found; since, around 3:00 p.m., yesterday, no more files have been found, and I have noticed that only the elapsed time and the estimated time to completion increases.  At this point, I don't think PhotoRec is doing much of anything because the LED in the adapter is not even ON, thus, I believe the HDD is not even being accessed.

If it is possible, please confirm with me whether I should stop PhotoRec or not.

I will now run TestDisk on the HDD in the manner in which you suggested; hopefully, I have better results.

Thanks a million.   

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

You can stop RhotoRec if you have not already done so. Hopefully Testdisk's Advanced Menu and the MFT option may help.

What I fail to understand is how ddrescue was only partially able to dd image the 90GB partition.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 July 2014 - 03:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users