Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My opinion, I would not trust BitDefender.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Harrison1220

Harrison1220

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

Although it's the most "best" AV protector of all reviews, I would personally not trust it.

It's basically giving you the benefit for only 40$-100$, it doesn't remove after your trial is over, if you've actually chosen to try it for free.

Once the trial is over, it'll still block applications that aren't malicious. It has blocked Microsoft Security Essentials even.

Also, another AVirus scanner (Hitman Pro), has detected a malware having to DO along with Bitdefender.

Bitdefender Gen:Variant.Zusy.85862. I know the gen variants a lot to know where this is going. Either bitdefender is infected, or it's being run by it's name. Either way, I find it annoying, but it's my opinion, sorry if any of you are even slightly offended of what I think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harrison1220

Harrison1220
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

Oh boy, it detected another one.

Bitdefender Application.Bundler.Somoto.I.

At this moment, I am gonna let hitman pro do the job, but what else should I do?

#3 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

Do you believe anything positive would come from seeking support from Bitdefender's support folks through Bitdefender Consumer Support Center? Yes?

Edited by 1PW, 07 July 2014 - 08:57 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Many factors could come into play in a situation such as this. Any application can suffer the vagaries of the Windows Installer, and experience a partial uninstall. This can apply even more to security software which is hardened to resist unauthorized shutdown or uninstall (watchdog), and may need to be uninstalled in a specific way.

It's also worth researching false positives before jumping to any conclusions. For example, the number of false alarms experienced here:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/avc_fp_201309.pdf

http://docs.labtechsoftware.com/documentation/LabTech2013#AddOnSolutions/Antivirus/HitmanPro/HitmanProFalsePositives.htm

As well, it's not unusual for security software to report hits in other security software, since the measures taken by the likes of Antivirus and Anti-rootkit packages operate in similar ways to the malware they are combating. For example, McAfee identifies the PUP Application.Bundler.Somoto not only for Bitdefender but as also present in EMSI, Kaspersky, ESET, Panda... (Virus Characteristics tab on link below)

http://home.mcafee.com/virusinfo/virusprofile.aspx?key=8374205#none

To me, that wouldn't indicate all those AV packages are untrustworthy.

As is noted there: "PUPs are often made by a legitimate corporate entity for some beneficial purpose" however especially in a corporate environment, it's appropriated for whoever is responsible for the security environment to be made aware of its existence. In a situation where its presence is normal and to be expected, no action would be required.

Edited by Platypus, 07 July 2014 - 10:01 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

Once the trial is over, it'll still block applications that aren't malicious. It has blocked Microsoft Security Essentials even.

Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. See the IMPORTANT NOTE in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users