Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Computer will not allow internet access

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jtufts

jtufts

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

I have a Win 7 computer that will not connect to web sites, even though the status in the bottom right says it was connected to WI-Fi and then when I disconnected Wi-Fi and connected by a Cat 5 cable it says it is connected as well.

It is able to dual boot to Ubuntu.  When I am in Ubuntu, it will allow surfing through Firefox.

I am able to ping www.google.com and 8.8.8.8 by the cmd prompt.  I am also able to ping my gateway address.

I tried disabling the firewall, and that had no effect.

I installed Malware Bytes, but it is a year out of date and will not update without the internet access.

Chrome, Explorer, and Firefox are all affected.  They say they can not connect.  Other programs like League of Legends are also affected. 

I would appreciate any guidance you can give.

This is my son's computer.  It is possible there is an unknown virus, but I have not seen a virus like this.  They usually redirect somewhere.

Thanks for the help, 

Jeff Tufts

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Hello, and Welcome

One thing to check is if you are running through a proxy server. Open IE. Tools > Options. Under the connections tab click the Advanced button. Is a proxy server listed?

#3 jtufts

jtufts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

No proxy is listed.

Thank you for trying to help me.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

In the search box type the following. I am not positive it will work as you can ping Google.

CMD  > Right click and Run as Administrator

At the prompt type:

netsh winsock reset catalog  <enter>

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt   <enter>

Reboot

See if you can access the internet.

#5 jtufts

jtufts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

JohnC_21, Thank you! The netsh winsock reset catalog fixed it. netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt gave me a "syntax error" so I skipped it. Can I buy you a beer? Thanks, Jeff Tufts

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Glad that worked out for you. I would update Malwarebytes and do a scan if you haven't already. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users