Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VOIP / Networking issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scottyxx

scottyxx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

I have been playing for years with this, trying to get my VOIP router working to make calls home to the UK. It seems to come and go. I am a fairly technical person, and I'm stumped! Here are the details.

My internet provider is Electronic Box using Bell Fibre via DSL lines. We have a Smart RG router provided by them. Connected via ethernet to this is a Cisco SPA112 VOIP modem(most recent firmware). (ASUS Wireless router on the other ethernet line for my main home wireless) Connected to this via telephone cable is a Uniden cordless phone.

My VOIP provider is sipgate.co.uk who provide step by step details on how to set up the cisco box. I follow these, to no success.

I think the problem lies with my router, BUT I just changed from going through the ASUS to going to the SmartRG in order to test this. I have sipgate VOIP configured on my phone via Taki and it is able to make calls on other people's wireless networks, not my own.

When I log into the sipgate site, it says my cisco box is online, but my phone says "CHECK TEL LINE".
Any ideas? In the past I had mixed success with using static ips and port forwarding, but the system would always just randomly break. I have tried using a different phone, and a different phone cable and the issue still persists.
Any help would be amazing, or even any input on VOIP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

whats your usage at?  VOIP and services like it are the first dropped by default when you reach the magic number on bandwidth.  That being the case if you go into your Cisco box you can assign high priorities to VOIP and maybe force it. 

Or your connection could be errored.  Meaning when you place two routers in a bridge of chain connection, you must assign each gateway a different IP

so DSL could be 192.168.0.1

and the next box cannot be that or in that range (.2-254)

So you have to make the second box something like 192.168.1.1 or a 10.10.10.1 type.

Also, you will lose the ability for anything on Box A, to access a network item on Box B.    IE if you DSL is on Box A, and you have a router called box B tied to Box A and a phone on that, you cannot get to your DSL unless you dummy the box.

Here is a better explanation from CISCO on it. Click HERE.

General VOIP guide by CISCO HERE.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 scottyxx

scottyxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

My bandwidth should be 28/2 mbps. 

My DSL router, the smart RG is on subnet 192.168.1.XXX and assigns ips in that subnet to anything on the network. The wireless router, the asus, is on 192.168.2.XXX and assigns ips on that domain.

Right now I'm connecting from my computer (on subnet .2) to the cisco box (on subnet .1) without any incident. Subnet .2 has internet access, as does subnet .1 according to my online "status" of my voip phone.

So I know both aspects of the network set up are corrrect, I'm just not sure whats happening in the Smart RG (and the Asus for that matter) in blocking my VOIP. My old belkin router did not have an issue. 

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

Ok,

So I want to ask, they only issue is making international calls to the UK, but not in the country you are in correct?

Have you tried just to use the phone with the modem/router from your provider and nothing else?

If that works, then my first move would be one router at a time, reset to default or whatever you want.  Then keep this up until you get a drop.  That is going to be the issues start point.

So, from there it gets a little weird.  VOIP at DSL levels and whatever the level is on the other end are noted for dropping or not connecting at all.  This has to do with 20% loss rate in Silence compression and blah blah blah.  You could be running into a usage issue when going transatlantic or wherever you are. 

Standards for usage and issues with VOIP are addressed in RFC3714.  Found here.

RFCs are the standards and rules for using the internet and if you go to pg5 section 3 it discusses issues with VOIP and what needs to be done to resolve it.

Lastly most CISCO router allow you assign priority to network items.  What this does is drop the less important functions if congestion occurs on your end or upstream to the switch/Hub your router or modem deals with.  Look here for info on doing this and other common VOIP issues

Also, did you check to make sure you are running the latest firmware for your routers?  Cisco is noted for being the last to update and when they do you usually start having issues. 

I would also check to see if you are on IPv6 as well.  ISPs even DSL ones are using it, and do not tell most people.  Check your routers to make sure or call your ISP

good luck and let me know

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 scottyxx

scottyxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

HI again, still got to try a lot of the things in this post. But my Voip provider is UK. I haven't not tried to set up another provider on the same box. But it actually just occurred to me, this might be a good way to test if the issue is with sipgate or the box. < Going to do this tonight! Will report back.

As for the firmware, I did, check the firmware, and update it manually the last time I attempted to get this thing working, which would be about 4 months ago.

I will review the rest of what you said once I am home, and check it out. I really hope I can get this solved finally!

#6 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

sounds good, ill follow for a bit, if you have more questions please ask away

good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users