Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It works at the computer shop, but not at my house or my friends

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

I connected everything correctly and when I push the power button nothing happens.  I connected the computer directly to the wall plug and still won't turn on. I'm running a 650 watt power supply.  I know the wall outlet works because when I plug stuff on it it works. I thought it was the power plugs so i switched them around using the screen and both of them work, but none work on the main computer machine.  It used to run a 400 watt, but it sparked and stopped working unless it was the power switch problem.  When I went to my friends house it wouldn't turn on at all. Even my house, but when we go to the computer shop it works.

I just came back from work and i only connect the machine (not the screen and it works downstairs.  I double check and turn it on and off. As soon as I came to the room i repeated those steps and it came on.  I started to connect all the other parts while its on and the screen refuses to turn on.  I have a really old screen compaq fs7600. Its on but there's no signal.  I turn off the machine and try to reconnect the screen and the machine won't turn on. I tried disconnecting everything but the machine, but it still won't turn on. I have the machine connected directlty to the wall and the others are on a powerstrip. I have a hhigh definition screen converter to my screen because i have a sapphire hd 7770.  I double checked downstairs where my TV is setup and it works. Well the giant high definition TV isn't setup because it is broken at the moment.  Everythinh connected there is either off or small.

Edited by Mooglebooboo, 07 July 2014 - 02:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

I think you need to have a licensed electrician check out the outlets in the questionable rooms/locations.  Also check for two wire/two prong plugs that are in non-polarized plugs and plugged into the same circuit (problem could be in a different room) as your PC.

#3 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

i tried another plug outlet and it turned on so I used an extension plug and connected everything and it won't turn back on.  That's where TV works. the computer plugs are three-holed plug and so are the outlets. Wheen it used to run a 400 watt i had no problems with powering the machine.

Edited by Mooglebooboo, 07 July 2014 - 09:16 PM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

I still think you have a phase swap going on somewhere, as I said, it could be one of your plugs, device or something in another room.  I have seen these before and they can be difficult to nail down. A good start might be to unplug everything in the house or kill the circuit breakers and bring them up one by one to find the circuit.  A certified electrician should help figure out what's going on.  Your power supply may be sensitve to a phase change, especially if a hot side gets swapped with the neutral and the full potential would be present on the chassis.  Grounds introduced from other units would see this as a fault.

#5 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

i tried downstairs and it still won't work. I'm going to try my brother's computer room. I tried everywhere around the house and it still does not work. I'm only connecting my screen and the machine. My friend suggests its the motherboard but that wouldn/t make any sense if it works at the computer repair shop. I do have an electrician in the house, but he keeps saying to use another outlet, but none of them in the house work. He told me the outlets are not the problem, but the computer. So I'm going to visit the computer shop again when I have money.

Edited by Mooglebooboo, 08 July 2014 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users