Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how does network traffic affect ping on a game server?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gnarled22

gnarled22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

im not very familiar with networking but im trying to understand basic concepts, I just would like to know how the more people that logon to a game would affect the ping for the individual person, and is server hardware the biggest factor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

In most cases bandwidth is the limiting factor (depends on many things details would help here). In most home user internet configurations, maxing out your upload means no download, or maxing out download means no upload. If you host the server, then users are likely both downloading from your server and uploading to your server. More users means more traffic, more traffic generally means slower pings for everyone. It really depends on the situation, the game in question, and the hardware.

Without specific details about hardware, software (the game in question), and your internet bandwidth, it is really tough to know.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users