Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maylina

maylina

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

My computer is soooo slow.It barely goes from yahoo home page to yahoo mail.Forget about Facebook,it takes to long to get to it that you dont even want to go there anymore.I have Avast virus protection and I have ran scans on it to make sure I have no virus.Ive ran my malware and I don't know what else to try.Can someone please make me a sugestion.I don't know alot about computers and I will really thank anyone who will try to help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Open My Computer. Right click your hard drive and select Properties. How much free space is left on the drive.

Do this for each account on the computer.

Click Start > Run

Type %temp%  Press Okay 

A windows will come up filled with files and folders. Make sure the last folder shown in the address bar is temp and not something else.

In the menu bar click Edit > Select All

This will highlight all the folders and files. Hold the shift key and right click. Select Delete. This will permanently delete all Temp files. Or, do not hold the shift key. This will send the files to the Recycle Bin first. This would be the safer option.

After you have done this for each account, login to your Admin account. Press Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter.  Select Analyze. When it is done press Report. What %  is shown under Volume fragmentation?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 July 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

- Did your system become slower & slower over time or became it slow overnight ? After installing a program ? Is it slow only when using a (new) webbrowser (e.g. Firefox ??). That could mean you have too little memory.

- Use Piriform's Speccy (File, snapshot) to produce a snapshot of your system and post the link in your next reply.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

First off, you should not be using XP on internet as it is not supported anymore, and you like me are a beginner and don't know how to keep from infections.

Second, Internet Explorer will probably never be fast with your machine but we won't know until you post some specs. like Willy22 suggested.  

Thirdly, assuming you don't have an infection, download a more secure browser, my choice is Google Chrome it is really simple and will produce the fastest surfing with old xp equiptment in my experience, just search Google Chrome, the official site. 

Make sure you never download from a bad site, always try to go to the OEM's site.  You can use this site for secure downloads, here is the link for the Speccydownload:  http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=speccy&platform=Windows%2CMac%2CiOS%2CAndroid%2CWebware%2CMobile&searchtype=downloads 

Scroll down to the first speccy download and download it to where ever you want it, the desktop is the easiest to find, good luck report back if you need instructions.  Bookmark this site, I think all will agree that this site is pretty safe.

Edited by pcpunk, 07 July 2014 - 09:28 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

More information on downloading/running Speccy and posting the log:

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer. When FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste. This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 July 2014 - 10:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users