Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAPTOP BOOT PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 passan

passan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Hello all!
I posted here as wasnt sure best place to post for this topic, so apologies if in wrong place!
I have a Sony Vaio VPCEE2M1E(unfortunately).
It is running windows 7.
Problems recently with booting up.
It seems to take an indifferent random number of attempts now to boot my laptop up. sometimes it will fire up first attempt, but somedays it will take upto 100 goes before it will boot!
Maybe it is a coincidence, but i have noticed that just before it boots up, the HDD spins and the fan comes on just like booting, but the screen stays black.
If i leave it a minute, I then switch off and switch back on again and it boots up.
I know the CMOS is knackered and def needs replacing as clock and date retain, would this cause boot issues? personally I think it could, and I have seen and read some articles and replies on various forums arguing this case, as others claiming it cannot cause issues.
Also recently when left for length of time, the screen does not come back on once display powers off(set after 1 minute of inactivity). I have the HDD set to power off after 20 mins, should i change this?
I cannot really afford to just replace my laptop, so maybe it is a solution, but it is not really an option at the moment. I also have programs and data on my HDD that I do not want to lose. I have important photos and docs backed up online, but still do not want the hassle of starting fresh either!
PLEASE HELP!!!
many thanks,
kind regards Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

If all of the BIOS settings are being reset because of a dead CMOS battery it can cause all kinds of odd issues.  Another possibility would be a failing hard drive.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

This could be a case of some bad sectors on that hard drive, so I'd run chkdsk and let it check for and attempt repair of bad sectors.  One way to do this is to open the Windows Explorer (yellow icon next to Start button), then right-click the C: drive and click Properties.  Then click the Tools tab -> Check Now button.  Check the box that says Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.  Be aware that this can run for an hour or two and will likely require you to reboot.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users