Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Dvd Drive Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hamster1209

Hamster1209

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

My old DVD R/W would now longer W so I got a new one of the same brand.
Removed the old one
Checked that old and new have the same jumper setting.
Installed new.
Plugged power, data and sound cables.
Powered up the machine.

Note: I have another DVD rom jumpered as a slave.

When both drives are plugged in (power data and sound) the new one will read a standard data dvd.
If I put a movie in the new drive the OS notes it and asks if it should be played using Windows Media Player. A yes answer will start WMP and it will hang at the blue screen. The info bar shows loading media.
At this point Windows Task Manager shows WMP as not responding.

If I put a movie in the old drive WMP plays it just fine.

If I unplug the power and data cables from the old drive the new one works fine.

I have checked and rechecked the jumpers and the new is master and old is slave.
I have checked SETUP and it shows the new listed as master and the old as slave.
A system check in control center shows both drives working normally.

Anybody got a quick fix?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:57 PM

Just as a side note - if you are using Windows XP, you shouldn't need to connect the audio cable (small four hole?). Correct me if I'm wrong anyone...? *** Have you tried playing just audio from either drive?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:18 PM

Hi Hamster1209.
What you might want to try, if you have them both connected to the secondary IDE, is jumpering both as CS using an 80 wire IDE cable. Your new drive probably came with one but you can tell the 80 wire cable by the "blue" connector at one end (motherboard connection). With the old 40 wire IDE cables, all the connectors were the same color, black. After you've re-jumpered them, enter setup again and set them both to "Auto".
If you can't get them to play nice together on the same IDE, a common problem, move the new DVD drive over to the Primary IDE as Slave. Technicaly, it slows data transfer from the HD down but not something most people would even notice.
Most CD\DVD drive makers recommend you don't install two on the same IDE as well.

Edited by HitSquad, 31 May 2006 - 02:27 PM.

#4 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

If the above doesn't work, try fitting the new drive as slave, and the old as master. Make sure the new one connects to the connector half way down the cable, the old one at the end.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

You do have one jumpered as the master and one as the slave, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users