Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaners

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 apexshay

apexshay

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hi guys I have another question which has not been very well answered...

So I have windows 8.1 , are registry cleaners needed? are they dangerous? should I get ccleaner?  I have major ocd over having a clean efficient and fast healthy system but are they really needed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

BC does not support the use of "regsitry cleaners/optimizers"...so, no, they are not needed by anyone, at any time, for any OS.  Not recommended by anyone other than the developers of such :).

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

Corrected link :): Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Credit for this goes to Quietman7

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Louis all I can say is Bravo!!! Anyone who has ever considered adding and running any of these should read all these links over and over until it's permanently ingrained in their brains!  Your post is 99.44% correct.  Very close to 100%, but I say that 0.56% is because the last link is a duplicate of the 3rd one.  :whistle: Still I have to say that's about as close to perfect as a human being can get.  Great post.  :thumbsup2: 

Edited by wpgwpg, 06 July 2014 - 02:18 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 YuriP

YuriP

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hello there

First of all Kudo's for asking that question! real smart question, many users seem to use those program and damage their system necessarily, take a look at a post I made a while ago: How-to maintain Windows 8?

I think all people agree that the are unnecessary, all Microsoft MVPs I spoke in the Windows sector including myself agree on the point, that those program do more harm than good.

#6 apexshay

apexshay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

thanks guys ! you guys are great :)

#7 jinxiang

jinxiang

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

A registry cleaner is not needed at all.. in fact it will creep your PC slowly...

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

Registry cleaners are snake oil. First off, cleaning the registry will fragment the registry and as jinxiang posted can actually slow it down.

I had multiple ..NET installs on a XP computer, I used multiple registry cleaners and even cleaned the registry manually. There were thousands upon thousand of entries. I compressed the registry hives and after doing all of this there was no difference in boot times.

The only time the registry should be cleaned is if it is necessary do to a malware infection that cannot be done by anti-malware software.

#9 apexshay

apexshay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

so in summary do not use registry cleaners but can use ccleaner for its other features? so no registry fixing , or defragging registry?

#10 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

CCleaner is good for the removing temporary internet files and other things that build up over time. It has a registry cleaning function that I personally do not use.

I would agree with everyone else about registry cleaning - that it should be left alone.

#11 jinxiang

jinxiang

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

It's like you are being brainwash thus the process of piecing back up together, it takes time.. <<< same logic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users