Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen freezing when coming out of "sleep" mode.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Franknj229

Franknj229

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

I'm posting this here because it seems to be either a monitor or video card issue.  If this is the wrong place, I apologize.  Please advise.

When I shut down for the night and reboot in the morning, everything seems to work fine.

When I put the system to "sleep", or it goes to sleep on its own, that's where I run into the issue.  Somewhere between 20 seconds and a minute after awakening the system, the screen freezes.  Nothing I do can unfreeze it.  I have to do a hard shut down and then reboot.  After that it's fine.

Yesterday I awakened the system, quickly logged into Netflix and started a movie.  When the screen froze, the movie was still playing.  That's why I think it's either the monitor or the video card.  Obviously the computer is still working just fine behind the frozen screen.

I am experiencing absolutely no other issues with my system.  My anti-virus is active and up to date, and running a scan produces a perfectly clean bill of health.  Not even a single suspicious item is turned up (which I suppose is suspicious in its own right).

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

When the screen froze, the movie was still playing.  

This is a contradiction of terms.  If the computer were to freeze the movie should stop playing.

Please try to explain this further.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Franknj229

Franknj229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention:

Vista64 Home Premium Service Pack 2

Intel i7

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

Acer H233H Monitor

Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 (running and updated nightly)

#4 Franknj229

Franknj229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

When the screen froze, the movie was still playing.  

This is a contradiction of terms.  If the computer were to freeze the movie should stop playing.

Please try to explain this further.

It WOULD be a contradiction of terms IF I said the computer froze.  However, as you quoted my post, I said the SCREEN froze.  The movie was still playing, but the image I was looking at wasn't progressing along with the movie.

#5 Doomap117

Doomap117

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Can you still hear audio after the screen locks up when playing a movie?

#6 Franknj229

Franknj229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

Yes.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

You are arguing about semantics.

It is frozen.

It froze.

It has frozen.

Good luck with this. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Franknj229

Franknj229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

You wouldn't need to defend yourself if you just bothered to read and understand a post before responding.  The word "froze" was never the issue.  The terms "computer" and "screen" were.  You've now shown twice that you only see what you want to, instead of what's really there.

Thanks for your "help".

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Your terminology is what is in question.  Perhaps you should consider that your description is in accurate in the terms you have used to described this problem.

Obviously you feel that you know more about this than I do, so I will just leave this for you to resolve.

Have a great day.

#10 Franknj229

Franknj229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

Seriously? How could you possibly think you're right?  At this point, screw the real issue.

Let's take it from the top:

You started off by being a bit of a d*ck by stating "This is a contradiction of terms", thus implying that you're smarter than me because I contradicted myself and you noticed it.

But in your very next sentence you astutely point out that, perhaps, I did not contradict myself, by stating:  "If the computer were to freeze the movie should stop playing."

Yes!  "SHOULD!"  Not "did" or "would have".   SHOULD.  (This is why I posted in this forum, and stated that I think it's a monitor or video card issue)

But since I very clearly indicated that the movie did NOT stop playing when the screen froze, your comment was essentially pointless.  Just you typing for the sake of seeing your own thoughts appear magically before your eyes, while simultaneously wasting my time.

But the true annoyance factor that really set me off was that I actually took the time to read the "before you post" message before I posted, since this is my first time on this board, and I followed the instructions to be as detailed as possible, not only in my title, but in the post itself.

If you had bothered to read my entire post instead of skimming over it until you found a single sentence you could quote out of context in order to educate me on what a contradiction of terms might be, you likely would have seen that you had no idea what to make of my issue and moved on to another thread, or you would have come up with helpful follow-up questions, instead of the condescending "Please try to explain this further."  The next two sentences after my "contradiction of terms" quite clearly explained it further.  That's why I typed them.

16,500 posts?  Really?  Are you a moderator on this board?  Is anyone monitoring you?  Do you ever actually help anyone, or just scan through every entry looking for ways to show off how brilliant you are grammatically, while skillfully covering up your lack of actual computer knowledge?

Have fun padding your way cool post stats.  You da man!

#11 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

my 9800gt would freeze after wake-up. the mouse pointer would seize in place and not move. after a few of those episodes, i just don't sleep the machine anymore, i just turn it off.

waking up is kind of stressful on a PC, components are initializing and it does seem that all of them initializing at once can be a real strain on the power supply. can you provide your power supply specs?

i don't think i have ever put the PC that i have that employs the gtx 285 on sleep or stand-by so i can't testify. the 285  is a 200 watt unit though, a considerable specification.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#12 Franknj229

Franknj229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Thank you synergy for the helpful advice.  Since I don't seem to be encountering any other strange issues whatsoever, it may just be the strain of coming out of sleep mode.  It's just as easy for me to shut down, rather than "sleep".

I appreciate you taking the time to go over that.

-Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users