Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection symbol shows the circle all the time?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Is it usual that the Internet access symbol (or whatever it is called) in the system tray shows this circle all the time: http://i.imgur.com/CrB3pmM.png?

Or is there any process running?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Short answer - No !

You should normally only see this just after booting your computer, it indicates that the computer is trying or waiting to get an IP address from the router. As soon as the router and your ISP assign one, the blue circle will disappear and you should just be able to see the signal strength indicator. Possible cures :-

First, and easiest, re-boot your router. Switch off the power to it, give it at least 30 seconds and switch on again. Once it has settled down, you should have lights for power, ADSL and wi-fi. The first two should be steady and the third may be blinking - that's normal, it shows that the router and your computer are talking to each other.

If the power light isn't on, you router isn't working. Check the power supply to it. If the ADSL light isn't on - or is showing any colour other than green - you have a line problem so speak to your ISP.

If all these lights are normal, then check your network settings on your computer. Things like that you have the correct access password in place and that your computer and the router are set to the same frequency.

If none of this works, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

Many thanks, Chris,

Ah sorry, I should have mentioned that I have two connections stored (http://i.imgur.com/bD1gn3r.png), so the connection by router works fine. I had had a modem before I started to use the router and I kept the old connection for the modem because there might need be to use the modem once again, I thought.

Since there does not appear to be a way to switch off the unused old wire connection to the Internet, I left it like it was. So at the moment when the Notebook starts / awakes the old connection trys to connect and I have to switch off it manually each time. But may be there is caused a process which causes an use of any resources so the Notebook is slowed down.

Many thanks again.

Edited by Dirkk, 07 July 2014 - 03:47 AM.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

I don't pretend to be an expert on how the Windows OS actually works and configures networks - I can usually get networks to work but don't ask me about the code  behind it - but if I interpret your image correctly, what is showing up is the WAN Miniport. This seems to be an integral part of how a computer interfaces with the internet and, since your Realtek connection seems to be working perfectly well I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If anybody wishes to correct me, feel free. I won't take a hissy fit.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

Ah, the forum is back...

Alright, many thanks, Chris. Otherwise I just would delete the old connection, setting up it again if need be wouldn't be that awkward (I hope).

Many thanks again.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users