Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 backup with Intel Rapid Storage Technology Installed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ikarus34

Ikarus34

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Is anyone using Windows 7 to backup and restore a PC using Intel Rapid Storage Technology? I am using a a 32GB SSD to accelerate the main 1TB Hard drive. I am not sure how to proceed here, I don't want to experiment, I am looking for someone who is using a caching disk and how they go about backing up and restoring in windows 7. It seems like the Intel Rapid Storage Technology ads a level of complexity that is less than ideal. Possibly It might have been better to spend the extra money and go with just a SSD rather than trying to save money and add extra layers of work.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

I don't have an SSD drive, but I can tell you for sure that you don't want the buggy Windows 7 backup program.  I've been using the FREE program Easeus Todo Backup Free for about the last 3 years on 7 computers and it works great for me.  

The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET.  In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed.  Like Ghost (which unfortunately is no longer on the market) it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot.  Don't download from CNET unless you want to get malware, but you can see CNET's review of it at
-
 CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at 

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
External hard drives are best for backup. You can get a 1 TB one for around $50. You can also buy a 32 GB flash drive for under $20.  It's the best insurance you can ever buy!

-
I hope this helps.  Good luck

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Ikarus34

Ikarus34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I am looking for some step by step guidance on doing a sytem image and restore using windows 7 with Intel Rapid Storage Technology using a caching ssd(so I don't hose the computer).  I use Windows 7 for backups and restores in my pc's with regular configurations with no problem, but this is a bit different. 

Edited by Ikarus34, 06 July 2014 - 12:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users