Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Link to PDF file works and doesn't work!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DrAnthonyRodriguez

DrAnthonyRodriguez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

(1) I created a document in Open Office Writer. By the way, I use Windows 7.

(2) In Open Office Writer, I converted the document to a PDF file.

(3) I double-clicked on the PDF file and automatically opened the PDF file with Abobe Reader.

(4) However, when I opened a webpage in my computer -using Firefox- and I retrieved the PDF file from a link in the webpage, the PDF file was displayed garbled. Adobe Reader was NOT automatically used to open the PDF file!

(5) As a test, I uploaded the webpage and the PDF file to an external server and, again, I used Firefox to retrieve the webpage and to open the PDF file (from the link in the webpage). It works fine! Adobe Reader was automatically used to open the file.

(6) As another test, I opened the webpage in my computer -but using Internet Explorer- and I retrieved the PDF file (from the link in the webpage). It works fine! Adobe Reader was automatically used to open the file.

What the heck is wrong?

Thank you!

Dr. T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 neilbuddy

neilbuddy

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Firefox and chrome have built-in PDF viewers, so there must be something in the PDF that firefox does not like.  You can disable the built-in PDF viewer in Firefox and have it use Adobe Reader.  Info here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/disable-built-pdf-viewer-and-use-another-viewer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users