Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Has Slowed way Down

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Pandora1

Pandora1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

Hello, my domestic partner bought us a new computer, it's a H.P. Pavillion desktop. All I really know about it (I'm not a computer guru by the way) is it has 4 gb. It has Windows 8, we Firefo and IE as our browsers (he prefers IE and I prefer Firefox). We haven't loaded hardly anything onto it and it seems slower than our old computer which was also an HP. It came with a array of programs that neither of us will ever use IE: pinger, one something, just stupid stuff. Do I need these things or should he un-install them. He does all the maintenance and he doesn't really know I'm asking questions about it but I thought I would anyway then just say I read about it. I think Avast is our anti-virus. Why is this new computer so slow? Any replies or answers would be so appreciated, thank you, Pandora 1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

There're a whole lot of things that could cause this.  Certainly a whole bunch of things running concurrently could be one that could be easily remedied at no cost.  Adding another 4 GB of RAM is another that would cost in the $50 to $100 range depending. Errors on the hard drive or other components of your system could be a third possibility although I wouldn't expect that on a new computer.  

For the first (too many concurrent tasks), check to see how many things are being started automatically when you boot, and check to see how many applications are being started by whoever's using the computer.  In IE or Firefox each tab counts as a separate task which takes resources.  A quick and easy way to check the automatically started tasks is to run MSCONFIG and click the Startup tab (Note: avoid the other tabs!) and look at the list.  There you can uncheck anything except your antivirus (Defender, Avast, or whatever you're using).

A lot of new computers come loaded with what has been termed "bloatware" which most people find to be an unneeded nuisance.  If you and your husband are sure you don't need one of these, you can uninstall it via the Programs and Features applet of the Control Panel.  HP, Dell, and Toshiba are 3 I know firsthand that put these on new PCs.  Some are helpful and others are not, so you have to be careful.  Before removing anything, especially those related to your computer manufacturer, you want to be very cautious.

Above all I recommend you make a full system backup to an external hard drive so you can recover everything if need be.  You should also read your user guide to find the procedure for restoring your computer to factory settings and be sure you have any discs needed for doing that.

Good luck. 

Edited by wpgwpg, 06 July 2014 - 09:29 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Pandora1

Pandora1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Thank you I will try to do what you suggested and reply whether or not it works. Again thank you. :thumbsup2:

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Download MiniToolBox from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

After downloading and saving to your computer, click to open and choose RUN.

Check ONLY List Installed Programs then click GO.

After running the scan, which is very brief, Notepad will open with the results.

Copy the results and paste the list in a reply.

We can look at the installed programs and tell you which HP bloatware can be safely uninstalled.

#5 Pandora1

Pandora1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

I opened msconfig services and I have "no idea" of what needs to be running or stopped, please help again. Perhaps I am just too "not computer savvy"! :nono:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Pandora1

Pandora1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Okay I did that, tried to copy and paste but it didn't work! Am I being stupid or what?

#8 Pandora1

Pandora1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NXSvoO5mE6XasaempPQxrCL

#9 Pandora1

Pandora1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

Did I do this right?

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Yes, you did it right. The Speccy report link works.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

Download MiniToolBox from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

After downloading and saving to your computer, click to open and choose RUN.

Check ONLY List Installed Programs then click GO.

After running the scan, which is very brief, Notepad will open with the results.

Copy the results and paste the list in a reply.

We can look at the installed programs and tell you which HP bloatware can be safely uninstalled.

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

Absolutely, ya done good!   :bananas:

I just looked at that Speccy report and I don't see any problems if what it's showing is typical:

4 GB RAM only 46% used.
Temperatures are good - all 46 C or below.
You have an AMD A4 or A6 processor
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Avast antivirus is up to date.

I see DC3 is looking at this thread, so maybe he'll spot something I missed.  If he doesn't, I suggest  that you download MiniToolBox from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/
and run it with the following boxes checked:

List last 10 Event Viewer Errors

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions, and Memory size

List Minidump files

Copy the resulting log and paste into a reply here.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Pandora, since wpgwpg mentioned checking more boxes in MiniToolBox, do as he suggests.

I want to see the installed programs. Since I don't know squat about interpreting the entire MTB log others will have to look at the rest of it to see if they spot something.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

You have 4GB of RAM installed.  This is from one module, this means that the RAM is running in single channel.  If you add another matching module you will not only have enough RAM to get this operating system up and running properly it will run in dual channel.  Dual channel basically increases the speed to almost twice as fast as single channel.  In order to run in dual channel the RAM modules must be a matched pair.  You can purchase another module from SupperBiiz for $43.99 plus shipping.  This is the same Samsung model M378B5173DB0-CK0 that you have installed in this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Pandora, since wpgwpg mentioned checking more boxes in MiniToolBox, do as he suggests.

I want to see the installed programs. Since I don't know squat about interpreting the entire MTB log others will have to look at the rest of it to see if they spot something.

Queen-Evie, I'm in agreement with your choice for the programs.  At this point I don't see the need for any of the other requested Event Viewer events or dump files.  The hdd partition/s and RAM are covered more thoroughly in the Speccy Snapshot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users