Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best CPU coolers?????

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 apexshay

apexshay

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

Hello guys,

I am looking for a cooler for my build currently my specs are :

i7-4770k, Asus Maximus VI Formula,16gb ddr3 2133mhz, 512gb SSD, corsair obsidian 800D,HX850w (Psu) ,windows 8.1.  (no graphics card yet before you ask :P)

Now currently I have the stock cooler fitted ,my cpu is stock at 3.5ghz but I want to get to maybe 4ghz with ought changing voltage I think it should be pretty doable and safe , but I need a good cooler first.

I am not going water-cooling as I feel it gives unwanted risks I rather have air cooling, and from what I have read Noctua is the way forward.

The 3 options I need help on is whether to go for the NH-D14 ,NH-U12S,NH-U12P ?

I will be gaming on this pc and this will be my main rig .please help there is no comparison with these 3 coolers as of yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Well the dual fan, dual radiator NH-D14 is huge, and if you have tall RAM heat spreaders you could have a problem fitting it.

Take a look here for what I mean about possible RAM clearance issues - http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D14/4.html

You should have no such issues with the NH-U12S, which also appears to be an excellent performer, comparable to the sealed water cooling systems.  I think the NH-U12P is an old product that has been replaced (by the NH-U12S).

Other top of the line air coolers include Phanteks PH TC14PE and Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme.  Both are very large coolers and again may have issues with RAM with tall heat spreaders, like the Noctua NH-D14.  In the last review the Silver Arrow performed significantly better than the NH-D14 in that particular setup.

Note that overclocking that processor to 4Ghz is not that demanding and any mentioned ones should be just fine.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 apexshay

apexshay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thankyou Great reply ! think the nh-u12s will be the one .

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

No problem :)  It looks a good choice for moderate overclocking, and it doesn't have the fitting problems or clearance issues of some of the very large air coolers.  Noctua's quality is very highly regarded.  It's also supposed to be very quiet indeed.  If you did plan more extensive overclocking, perhaps the NH-D15 is worth a look?  It has a modified design intended to clear tall RAM (in single fan mode).  It's still huge though and not cheap.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users