Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the most thorough desktop standalone free scanner ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

I am posing this question to the BC members seeking their views, having surfed the web and not really found an answer.

I have my main AV program - AVG 2014 which seems to scan thoroughly, but comes up with some strange "infections" at times, then I have Emsisoft Emergency Kit which again seems to be very thorough and lastly I have SupreAntiSpyware which also  seems thorough.

I am looking for free software programs.

Some of the other programs offered on the web need a name and/or email address before they will download, I do not want these.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,097 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-malware solution to supplement your existing security protection. Every vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

You may want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Vaar

Vaar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

I've been using SuperAntiSpyware which seems to be doing a pretty decent job at scanning my laptop. I've used MalwareBytes in the past and I can honestly say that I prefer SAS given that it's free compared to the paid version of MB. I've tested out both on an infected laptop and SAS was able to pick up more detections of Malware than MB while also completing a full scan before MB. 

#4 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

I've been using SuperAntiSpyware which seems to be doing a pretty decent job at scanning my laptop. I've used MalwareBytes in the past and I can honestly say that I prefer SAS given that it's free compared to the paid version of MB. I've tested out both on an infected laptop and SAS was able to pick up more detections of Malware than MB while also completing a full scan before MB. 

That information is very interesting. I use SAS often because it is convenient and easy. It seems to do a good job and is very quick compared to MBAM, which on my machine takes a very long time and their Heuristics Analysis scan at the end takes so long I have to cancel the whole scan and lose the infections so far accumulated, all PUP`s.

I no longer use MBAM. Emsisoft Emergency Kit I use as my best standalone program when I want a more thorough job done in my opinion, but not often. My regular choice is SAS for a quick backup to Sandboxie which is a pretty good barrier against all ills.

The standalone`s are used because I do have to use an unsandboxed browser quite often for short periods of specialized Internet access. If all my web access was sandboxed, i would not need any standalone programs as a backup.

Edited by Beaker77, 09 July 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

Since not all browsing habits or computer configurations are equal. I have to say just the opposite. I found SAS lacking on several occasions. MBAM Premium worked better for my configuration and needs.

I use ESET as my AV, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and MBAM Premium and have had zero complaints or issues. And with my duties here I have had to investigate some pretty sketchy links.

My suggestion is for everyone to experiment and find the configuration that works for your habits and needs. Not copy someone else's set up as each individual has their own way of doing things. And last but not least educate yourself by reading quietman7's links in post #2 up above.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,097 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

... I can honestly say that I prefer SAS given that it's free compared to the paid version of MB. I've tested out both on an infected laptop and SAS was able to pick up more detections of Malware than MB while also completing a full scan before MB.

This will explain why SAS detects more items.

SUPERAntiSpyware will scan for cookies if you have it configured to do so and may show them as (numerous) threat detections. There is no need to do this since cookies are not a "threat". Anti-malware scanners have more important things to look for, so I would recommend disabling the option to search for cookies which will also decrease the amount of time it takes to perform a scan.

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, it does offer technology to deal with some rootkit infections so it gives you another tool to use as getting a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled. During installation you can uncheck any offers to upgrade to the paid version or for free toolbars if you do not want them.

Malwarebytes intentionally does not search for and remove cookies because they pose no significant threat (see Microsoft's Description of Cookies.

We do not detect or remove cookies as they are not considered a malware threat to your system. There are plenty of 3rd party programs to remove or you can even have most browsers automatically remove if you like.

MBAM forum, Post #2 by AdvancedSetup (Root Admin)

#7 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

I just did a complete scan with SAS. It found no threats, but it did find about 20 files associated with DEALPLY, which on my command it zapped.

DEALPLY is a well known adware and pops up all over the place on a global basis.  I have had it before and deleted it, but obviously it had come back. Another pest is SOFTONIC. This nuisance hijacked my Home Page (Google) on IE, unknown to me as I rarely use IE. I soon changed it back.

I will not touch SOFTONIC after finding out they are a widespread pest some time ago. A scan by MBAM found 80 PUP`s on my set, all on Firefox which again I do not use often and all SOFTONIC.

SAS protects the Home Page from being hijacked, it alerted me when I changed the IE Home Page back to Google, but the SOFTONIC hijack probably happened before I had SAS.

Edited by Beaker77, 10 July 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,097 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

SAS protects the Home Page from being hijacked...

That's one feature I like about SAS which is a nice replacement for SpywareGuard, although I prefer WinPatrol which also includes that same protection.

#9 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

SAS protects the Home Page from being hijacked...

That's one feature I like about SAS which is a nice replacement for SpywareGuard, although I prefer WinPatrol which also includes that same protection.

You willingly give such a volume of detailed and helpful information without prompting, all very much worth reading and not  easy to come by in surfing the web.

I took you up on WinPatrol and installed little Scotty.  He is sitting there on my taskbar all alert. It seems a good tool to have for nothing.

Scotty alerted me when I changed the Homepage on IE, but never barked when i changed the Homepage on Firefox. Why is this ? I have Chrome, Firefox and IE, they all have Homepages. Chrome is my default browser.

May I please ask :-

Is it just a plaything or does it do a real protective job ?

Does it delete anything or prevent things from happening without firstly asking ?

I want a Master`s obedient "Go fetch" dog, not some independent mind-of-its-own nasher.

Thanks

Edited by Beaker77, 11 July 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,097 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

WinPatrol is a versatile system monitoring program (originally created by Bill Pytlovany/BillP Studios and now owned by Ruiware, LLC) that utilizes a small memory footprint and offers a lot of features such as:
  • Takes a snapshot of critical system resources and provides alerts if any changes occur.
  • Serves as a Startup Manager which works much better than MSConfig.
  • Tracks programs that have been installed on your system and monitor the location Windows uses to store Uninstall information.
  • Alerts to changes in programs that run at startup.
  • Alerts if another program has removed a Startup program.
  • Alerts if attempts are made to change (hijack) browser Home and Search pages in Internet Explorer.
  • Has the ability to delay the launch of a Startup programs.
  • Monitors toolbars, registry modifications, changes to file extensions and changes to the HOSTS file.
WinPatrol PLUS provides high performance, real-time monitoring and access to the PLUS Info database. It requires a one time fee for all future versions (updates) and a single license is valid on all your personal desktops and laptops. See How To Activate WinPatrol PLUS features.

If you highlight an entry, you can click on the Info button to gather additional information such as a file's full path (location). If you are using the Pro version, you click on PLUSInfo... which will take you to its website to see what they have to say about it. You can also do this by highlighting an entry, right-clicking on it and select PLUSInfo from the context menu.

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,404 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

Win Partol is my old standby have it on three machines great little program.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#12 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Win Partol is my old standby have it on three machines great little program.

Thank you for that comment, it helps very much.

Please Phil, Could you answer my questions in post 9 to really give me confidence in little Scotty ?

"May I please ask :-

Does it delete anything or prevent things from happening without firstly asking ?

I want a Master`s obedient "Go fetch" dog, not some independent mind-of-its-own nasher."

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,404 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

It is an informant like a little watch dog!  Any type of change it will pop up and report along with a bark to get your attention, anything it detects wanting access, down loads, program changes etc.  When the applet pops up you can look over what is going and decide if you want it  or not, all I can say try it for awhile if you do not like it dump it.  It does not report all things, possibly it knows trusted from untrusted who knows, computers a box full of mysteries!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,097 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

I want a Master`s obedient "Go fetch" dog, not some independent mind-of-its-own nasher."

The links I provided address your questions, especially the one for WinPatrol Options (and settings).

Under most conditions Scotty is asleep while you're doing your daily work. In our free version he wakes up every so often based on the settings you choose. You can decide yourself how often Scotty should wake up and check your system by setting individual "patrol times" for each of the resources that Scotty monitors.

This scheduled patrol time is not required by WinPatrol PLUS. Instead, we use an internal Windows function that triggers Scotty to wake up when there a specific behavior occurs. This real--time monitoring is more efficient and will not interfere with your work. You can still turn off monitoring of each tab type by setting the time to zero or unchecking the real-time monitoring checkbox.

WinPatrol lets you configure several other aspects of Scotty's behavior...

I have always used the PLUS version on all our family machines.

#15 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

On the subject of SAS, not only is it an excellent standalone program, but it protects your default browser from having the Homepage hijacked.

The only way you can change your Homepage is through SAS, using the browser has no effect. This way it is impossible  for a malicious site to tamper with your Homepage.

SASHomepageprotection2_zps2c2f8002.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users