Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external HDD'S

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:36 AM

HI,Can you use one external HDD to back up 2 different PC'S,one with a WIN7 OS and one with a WINXP,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Yes you could if there was enough room to do so.  Is this using any particular backup software or Windows Backup?

One thing you could do is partition the disk into two, dedicating a partition to each computers backup files.

Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but worth noting that it will be a single point of failure. so if the HDD breaks, you lose backups from both computers.

Edited by jonuk76, 06 July 2014 - 08:49 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

There're several ways to do this.  For method 1 I'll give you what I've done which you could call the "hammer and tongs" method.  I have a couple of external drives that I carry from place to place where I support 28 desktop PCs in 4 different locations.  I run the backup using Easeus Todo Backup, then eject and remove the external drive and take it to the next place when needed.  At home I do something similar with my laptop (Windows 7) and a test computer (Windows 8.1).

Method 2, another method I've tried is to take an externally attached drive to a desktop PC and share it over a network so I could write to it from my laptop.  I tried this using a WiFi connection and believe me this was orders of magnitude slower than having a directly attached drive to the laptop!  Sharing this way over a 100 mbps network was much faster, but still a good bit slower than going directly to the hard drive via USB attached.  I haven't upgraded my home network to 1000 mbps yet, but I suspect this would be pretty practical.

Method 3 is really not a shared backup, but is what works best at home for me.  Because you can buy 2 TB USB 3 external hard drives for around $100, I just attach one of these to each home desktop PC I need regular backups for.  I have 2 desktop PCs with these and another desktop with a 1 TB USB 2 attached hard drive.

Method 4, probably the most used method would be NAS (Network Attached Storage).  This has the advantage that you can access it from multiple places.  However understand that you need a fast connection to make this practical if you have a high volume of data.  Some installations use a server for this purpose, and I've seen some routers that have the ability to attach an external hard drive.  Again though the speed of the network would be a critical factor.  1000 mbps is not unduly expensive these days, so this might be the ideal setup since you could leave the NAS up but power the individual computers down at will.

I hope this helps.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 06 July 2014 - 08:49 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

HI,wpgwpg,I like your # 3 as it takes the hard thinking out of the equation as i am low on brain cells at 73 yrs old the HDD between my ears is almost full,thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users