Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop not used for a long time won't boot up windows vista.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 collywobbles

collywobbles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

Hi All, I hope someone can help.

I have a packard bell desktop from 2007 with windows vista. I've not used it for a long time as I bought a laptop but now I want to take all my old photos etc off the desk top.

When I switched in on a black screen came up with the title 

American Megatrends

Ambios © 2005 American mega trends inc.

Press F2 to run set up

Press F8 for BBS POPUP

Press F12 to reboot from network 

And various other F options

I pressed F2 to run set up but it took me to a page with Various options but whichever I press

non will reboot the machine.

Can anyone help

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Hi collywobbles, :welcome: to the Bleeping Computer Community.

Since your desktop was not used for a long time but on early splash gives you a setup screen which means there is no problem with the board and power itself, try first going to your BIOS setup (press F1, Del, F2) and then see if your hard drive is detected then load default setup the function key is usually found on the low/right windows of the BIOS menu. Double check the date and time is current and or change manually then save and exit.

If nothing happens, the CMOS battery might be dead or weak. Removing this battery for a couple of minutes or replacing it would reload the default hardware settings. Make sure to manually change the BIOS time/date again next time or see previous suggestion above. By doing this, you would need to open the side casing while computer is powered off and unplugged. It would also be worth checking and or reseating the hard drives cables are well fitted.

m0WDcUo.jpg

A CMOS Battery

If you need to be straight forward on getting the data without messing with the desktop anymore, using a USB enclosure and then connecting it to your laptop would be also another option, see more information on enclosures.

Tekken

#3 collywobbles

collywobbles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hi Jhayz

Thank you very much for the reply, I followed the steps you said, I removed the battery but it hasn't worked so have ordered a new battery and will try again in a day or two. The screen did indicate low battery, once I knew what I was looking at  :lol: Your help was much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users