Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop shutting down?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GingaMilla

GingaMilla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

Hello there everyone I am a new member in need of some help and assistance on this matter.

Before I start, here are my PC specs:

AMD FX™-6100 Six Core Processor, 3.30 GHz

8.00GB RAM

64bit Operating System.

Windows 7 Home Premium

Not sure how to find any other information.

I have got a desktop, which was custom made for me a couple of years ago and never had a problem with it until now. It has shut down on me twice in a matter of a few days apart. First time it shut down on me was on Thursday, and then it did it again last night. I decided to clean it out and it seems to be going all right today but just have a feeling it could end up doing it again.. I did download a app called Speed fan and my speed on the fans were good apart from 2 which was my CPU and my AUX?

My CPU was on 74c and AUX is on 128c but drops to 45c at times and then back up. Is the CPU too hot? Is there any way of getting this down? I have checked all the fans and they all are running fine.

Any help would be grateful as I can't afford to buy a new desktop.

Thanks!

Edit/fix? - I managed to go into my control panel and changed the power options. It was on Max performance but I put it down to balanced and waited a while and the temp of the CPU fan is now down to 40c. Would have have been the main problem and would my PC be ok now?

Edit 2 - It goes up to 70c when I start to play a game using an emulator? Maybe due to it using my graphics card, I play Football Manager which uses no moving graphics at all and the CPU stays around the 40's. Is it safe when it's in its 70's while I game?

Edited by GingaMilla, 06 July 2014 - 05:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:39 AM

Sounds like heat is/was your biggest problem. 

Mine runs about 35c and goes up to 50c when I'm playing a game. My games may not be as graphic intensive as yours. 

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 GingaMilla

GingaMilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

Well I cleaned it out around the CPU again, as they seemed to be a lot of dust. Using the emulator again and it's going at 55c instead of 75c which is a lot better.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

It's a good idea to clean out the inside of the puter every couple of months or so, depending on the environment. When my normal running temp goes from 35c to around 40c I'll open it up and give it a good cleaning.
The game I own that runs the hottest is Borderlands2. You may have other games that make your puter run hotter.

Edited by Wildabeast, 07 July 2014 - 06:08 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

FWIW:  Max operating temp for that processor is 70 Celsius,

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users