Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating systems for multiple processors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 voipuser

voipuser

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:15 AM

I need RECOMMENDATIONS of a 64 bit Operating System to run a motherboard with 4 Xeon /4 core processors with 48 GB Ram

Having bought the hardware first , the looming question now is what OS do I run it with. I need a 64 bit Operating System to run a motherboard with 4 Xeon /4 core processors with 48 GB Ram, which I purchased second hand. This is to be a stand alone workstation and not a network server. Windows Server 2008 R2 , HPC , Enterprise or Datacenter editions are among the few Operating Systems that handle multiple processors. In any case those are what the chassis maker Supermicro recommends. I understand it looks and acts much as Windows 7, and is amenable to common desktop PC software. Solaris is perhaps another option , but the file system a particular operating system uses will commit the data and applications to that platform and will not be accessible to another OS that uses a different file system.

Installation of Microsoft products can be managed with a trial edition download subject to eventual validation. Once activated I am to be the sole user. According my investigation of product activation and licensing , I need only obtain a product key enabling - 2 - licenses ( 1 per 2 processors ). So how much is this going to cost me ? I'm a Kmart sort of customer , Microsoft's Neiman Marcus pricing , costing many times what I paid for the hardware , applies to business and institutional organizations with multitudes of simultaneous users. Shopping around I'm exceedingly wary of the authenticity of what is being sold or by who or what I get for anywhere from around a hundred dollars to many thousands.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 briggs&straton

briggs&straton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Well, what do you plan on doing with this server?

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

I wouldn't recommend using a Windows Server OS for a workstation. It requires extra configuration and there's still no guarantee the applications will run on it properly. But if you want to consider it: http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/

#4 voipuser

voipuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:31 AM

From what I have determined the Linux kernel is capable of juggling multiple processors in symmetric mode. How various distributions of it actually do is the main question. Ubunto and Scientific Linux a variant of Red Hat seem most adequate. I have no experience with Linux so I tend to rely on windows editions. Of the common Microsoft operating systems most will only run one processor and a few will be able to run at most two processors. This is a deliberate limitation of the NT kernel by Microsoft. Capability for multiple processors is reserved for the server editions. Windows Server 2008 R2 HPC is the same NT 6.1 version as 64 bit windows 7 with different settings enabled or disabled. It will run up to four processors and up to 128 GB ram ( this is important because Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard only supports up to 32 GB ) go figure. A trial of HPC edition is freely available for download from Microsoft as a 0.99 GB *.ISO to be burned to a DVD for installation on your hardware where the size expands to ~ 2.7 GB www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13769
Be sure to read below ' Details ' , ' System Requirements ' , and ' Install instructions " where it tells you the temporary product key to activate the trial. Prior to expiration you will need to obtain a valid license to permanently activate. While Microsoft disapproves of key reselling these can be a third or less the price of a commercial retail package with media and license www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MSAAB00319
often including unwanted additional user licenses which you are paying for , these unused and perfectly valid keys get often sold to third parties.
Buyer beware. This is fertile ground for distributing illegimate items.

Edited by voipuser, 04 August 2014 - 01:34 AM.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

I would kindly suggest you are going about this backwards.

You are starting with hardware when you should be starting with the software you wish to run.

You would feel pretty silly to have that hardware and paid for a OS to support that hardware only to find the software you are running only uses one processor.

Software has to be written to use SMP [symmetric multiprocessing] or SMT [Simultaneous Multithreading (also known to some as Hyper Threading Technology (HTT) based on Intel's implementation) ]

While most workstation software today supports SMT/HTT they don't support SMP.  You would need to get into server apps like SQL Server that allows you to assign what CPU's it can use.

So what software do you want to run on this bad boy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users