Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot from SSD all of a sudden

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 steff_

steff_

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

Hi everyone
All of a sudden my SSD seems to not respond, and when i boot i get an error saying to "reboot and select proper boot device"
I go into the BIOS and it is reading my SSD and it is set as the #1 spot to boot from but it wont boot. 
Tried to reinstall windows just as a test and it wont let me reinstall onto the ssd. 
Have tried swapping cables around and no change.

This problem started off with my computer freezing every half hour or so (all of a sudden) even when doing basic web browsing/itunes etc. Then I would have to force restart and the majority of the time it would come up with the "reboot and select proper boot device" message but occasionally it would just start up fine. Now it won't boot at all. 

I had issues earlier in the week where my BIOS reset itself suddenly, which was fixed for a few days and now this.
Any help is appreciated, ive had so many issues with this computer (custom build) im ready to just get rid of it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

If you have an SSD, I'm guessing you know that the Bios must be set to AHCI instead of IDE and TRIM needs to be enabled in the Command Window as Administrator.  Assuming that? We don't know if you've updated to the latest Firmware for your SSD brand or anything else like How old it is? etc.  IF the BIOS is resetting? you need to make sure to SAVE it with F9 or whatever it is in your particular Bios. Save the Setting and reboot. 

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

How long ago did you build this machine?  If it is over two years you may have a dead CMOS battery.

What happens when you try to do the reinstall, other than it doesn't work?

#4 steff_

steff_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

Just checked, and it is set to AHCI but I cannot access Command Prompt to check if TRIM is enabled. This SSD is approx 1 year old, the machine itself is about 2 years old (already had 1 SSD die on me). Definitely saving before exiting.

When I try to reinstall, if i choose "repair" it says "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair.Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows" 

OR

If i just try to install it, if i click "upgrade" it says "the computer started using the windows installation disc. remove the installation disc and restart your computer so that windows starts normally. then, insert the installation disc and restart the upgrade" (windows wont start normally so I can't do this)

or if i click Custom (advanced) and select where I want to install windows, it says "windows cannot be installed to this disc. The selected disc is of the GPT partition style"

#5 steff_

steff_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:15 AM

managed to get windows reinstalled (yay) so the computer now boots, and have updated my ssd firmware. The RAID configuration on my regular hard drive/s had reset itself so Ive managed to reset that up but it is now not showing up in Intel Rapid Storage Technology, and I get an error saying "your system is reporting one or more events and data may be at risk"

Also tried to update my BIOS using QFlash and when I click "update BIOS from drive" it wont do anything/pick up my USB (formatted to FAT32) so I can't actually update it. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

If you have an SSD, I'm guessing you know that the Bios must be set to AHCI instead of IDE ..

Really?

Why?  My SSDs work fine and I don't employ the AHCI settings on my two desktops.

FWIW:  http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=505&Itemid=38 and http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2231417 .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#7 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Oh? you're talking to "me" 7 days later and still haven't answered the original poster's question? Since you've singled me out for nit-picking and gave me an April 2010 link on this subject, Here's one for YOU

It's just one of the many AHCI vs IDE videos that I used to start with my SSDs long ago. I too found better speed and ratings and went by my SSD manufacturers recommendations from Crucial that said AHCI may give you better results.  That is "why" as to your very late question. I stopped following this topic last week. Makes no difference to me if you use IDE or if the original poster does. It sounds like she got it to work but still needs some help, but instead? BleepingComputer moderators went fishing for arguments. Hmmm.

#8 steff_

steff_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

I forgot to include it in my last post, but my computer will not boot at all unless it is in AHCI. Which is really annoying as I'm trying to get my RAID working on my 2 x HDD, and it kind of works in AHCI but not properly. 

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Apparently raid works ACHI and not IDE:  A copy and paste from Louis's Post link

AHCI & IDE SATA-Mode Differences

Most desktop computer motherboards offers hardware enthusiasts the option to adjust the SATA controller interface settings in their BIOS between AHCI and IDE mode. Traditionally, IDE is the time-tested standard for desktop hard drive products. The IDE interface offers basic control over the storage device, but unfortunately it does not include enterprise-level features. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) on the other hand, was created as a means to deliver additional storage support for server backplanes and high-end performance desktop computers.

Between these two disk IO settings, there are a few specific features that differ. AHCI-mode includes hot-swap drive support and Native Command Queuing that is not available in IDE mode. IDE does not support RAID arrays, and does not include the extended power management features that AHCI offers. For OpenBSD servers, port multiplier support is also enabled through AHCI.

I also noted that in all but one test ACHI was slightly faster than IDE, to me using IDE defeats the advantages of ACHI does not make much sense.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users