Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden low fps in all games

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hjjr31

Hjjr31

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

Today I loaded up a game (Super Street Fighter IV) on my computer and noticed a ridiculously low framerate. Running the ingame benchmark I'm currently getting around 30 fps maxed out at 1080p, when I used to be at over 150 fps. I have an i7 2600 processor and a radeon 7970 graphics card so hardware isn't the problem. I've tried updating thing and uninstalling things to know avail. It's driving me crazy and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2014 - 10:54 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

Sorry to hear that. Some games just run terrible and there is nothing you can do. What you can do on your part is check for game patches, update graphics drivers in hopes that they fixed it. Some games require that XNA framework is installed and if it is try updating that. Also update .net framework too. If none of those work then it sounds like a poorly coded game or driver. Check if the card hasn't been downclocked. Check the fans and temps.

Edited by technonymous, 05 July 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#3 Hjjr31

Hjjr31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

The game was running fine a week ago. The temps on the cpu and gpu appear normal as well as the clocks. I tried the xna framweork but it didn't help. I believe at this point it may be malware, but scans by vipre antivirus and malwarebytes reveal nothing out of the ordinary.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

I had a issue like this just a couple days ago identical to what you're experiencing. The persons video card was down clocked not sure how it got set like that. They said they never touched it. The new drivers still retained the same old settings and baffled me for a while trying to figure out what was happening. I didn't expect it to be doing that. Maybe there is a bug in the driver/software where the slider shows it's fine, but it actually isn't. Try setting the clock speed adjustment up or down hit apply and then delete it and reset it back to defaults again. You never know, it's possible they got something wacky going on with drivers/catalyst.

Edited by technonymous, 07 July 2014 - 04:10 AM.

#5 beans17

beans17

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

Is your CPU usage unusually high? While in the game or out of it.

#6 Hjjr31

Hjjr31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

I checked my gpu and cpu usage with another game, Need for speed shift 2, and cpu usage is reported no higher than 40 percent by realtempgt, and gpu-z shows 100 percent usage on the gfx card. I'll  try changing the clocks and resetting and ill report back.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

I checked my gpu and cpu usage with another game, Need for speed shift 2, and cpu usage is reported no higher than 40 percent by realtempgt, and gpu-z shows 100 percent usage on the gfx card. I'll  try changing the clocks and resetting and ill report back.

Do you still have the same sluggish experience in Need for Speed? Have you gotten any BSOD's while gaming?

Update: Is this game ran through steam? Doing a little research on it it seems many users have the same issue. Maybe turn off V-sync.

Edited by technonymous, 07 July 2014 - 05:30 PM.

#8 Hjjr31

Hjjr31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:18 PM

Yeah unfortunately it slows down just like every other game. I tried changing the clocks and resetting them but games still run slow. Gpu-z reports that the graphics card is running at its max frequency of 950mhz.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Yeah unfortunately it slows down just like every other game. I tried changing the clocks and resetting them but games still run slow. Gpu-z reports that the graphics card is running at its max frequency of 950mhz.

Do you have a link to the exact card you bought? 950mhz seems low for a 7970. You could try giving it little more voltage in the overclock settings.

Edited by technonymous, 07 July 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#10 Hjjr31

Hjjr31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

I got it on ebay and its been working fine for a month. 925 is the clock speed on the reference card. My particular model is a sapphire dual x 7970 oc with boost so its slightly higher. The card has a second bios that you can switch to that comes  factory clocked at 975mhz and goes to 1ghz with boost. I already tried both bios' and the problem continues. The odd thing is I just ran Furmark and compared the score I got to other 7970's. Amazingly my score is right where it should be. My problem seems to only affect the games I play. I haven't changed any graphics settings in the catalyst control panel so I know that couldn't be causing lag.

Edited by Hjjr31, 07 July 2014 - 05:50 PM.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

I got it on ebay and its been working fine for a month. 925 is the clock speed on the reference card. My particular model is a sapphire dual x 7970 oc with boost so its slightly higher. The card has a second bios that you can switch to that comes  factory clocked at 975mhz and goes to 1ghz with boost. I already tried both bios' and the problem continues. The odd thing is I just ran Furmark and compared the score I got to other 7970's. Amazingly my score is right where it should be. My problem seems to only affect the games I play. I haven't changed any graphics settings in the catalyst control panel so I know that couldn't be causing lag.

I asusme you're using 14.4 catalyst and drivers. Many others have said the new drivers actually made their card perform worse and gone back to 13.12 Also, some games may require the components of dx9 be installed. I think the game you mentioned earlier said dx9. This may also help out..http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 I am running out of idea's. It could be that the card is having issues and buying off Ebay you never know what you get. I had a secondary card one time in another system I owned back in the 5700 series era and it had a problem running at default memory clock of 1150. It was a 700/1150. I had to downclock the memory to 1100 to make it stabled. Otherwise you get the dreaded vertical line crash.

It's possible you may have a half blown card that just will not run at it's clocks stable. Furthermore, it may not be the card at all and it could be a motherboard/PSU issues. Some builds are just wacky and never run right no matter what you do. I was dealing with this one Asrock system OMG that thing was a lemon. Nothing would work right ram issues, video card issue's. I had to get a new MOBO and start over.

Edited by technonymous, 07 July 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#12 Hjjr31

Hjjr31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Dude, you're the man. I was using 14.4. I did a through uninstall of 14.4 and loaded up the 13.9 and my computer is back to how it should be!! You're a lifesaver man I owe you big time.

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

Glad you got it worked out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users