Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with computer issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheDuck1875

TheDuck1875

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hi, recently my computer keeps getting a popup called "Security Warning" that says 

You are about to install a certificate form a certification authority (CA) claiming to represent:

CE_UmbrellaCert

Windows cannot validate that the certificate is actually from "CE_UmbrellaCert". You should confirm its origin by contacting "CE_UmbrellaCert". The following number will assist you in this process:

Thumbprint (sha1): 127FD33D 6FD81FA6 27D0EE60 FE9B22C3 ED5D902F

Warning:

If you install this root certificate, Windows will automatically trust any certificate issues by this CA. Installing a certificate with an unconfirmed thumbprint is a security risk. If you click "Yes" you acknowledge this risk. 

Do you want to install this certificate?

I have to repeatedly press no until the popup goes away. When it finally does, it changes my proxy settings to use a proxy server for LAN. When i go into google chrome to change this setting, the pop up reappears.

Also, a program called content explorer has been popping up in my browser as well as in online games i play.

I have run the adwcleaner and it removed a small list of programs but it did not remove this. I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to computers, so if there is any other information i should give please let me know.  I am very lost and any help is appreciated.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

I've never run into this one, but I agree it sure sounds suspicious.  I'd download Malwarebytes and do a scan with it.  When the scan finishes, click the Quarantine All and follow the onscreen instructions.  You should probably do a full system scan with your antivirus program too.  If the problem persists after that, there're other things you can do, but try these for starters.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 BadKarma1136

BadKarma1136

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

This is not a virus causing the security warning.  It's from software you downloaded from the internet that was probably a package deal. It came from a program that you can remove through your "control panel" under "Remove Programs".  The program is called "Content Explorer".  Their website is www.contentexplorer.net.  After removing the program you can remove this certificate by opening "internet explorer", open "tools", select "internet options", select the "content" tab, select the "certificate" button on the "Certificate" section of the content window. Now search thru all the "tabs" until you find the certificate titled "CE_UmbrellaCert"; highlight it and click "remove".  I did this on my son's laptop running Windows 8 and the certificate was in the "Personal" tab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users