Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone case input

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DanielPlumb

DanielPlumb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, it's kind of ambiguous in that a microphone is an external device, but my issue in question is in regard to the microphone input jack located on the case itself.

This is my case: http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-Vantage-Gaming-Audio-Reader/dp/B0071KZNUY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404601748&sr=8-2&keywords=CiT+case

A few times where I have walked away from my computer, I have accidentally yanked at the inputs on the front and it got to the point where the microphone input was really sensitive, and I had to get it in exactly the right position to be recognised by the computer - something I could live with.

However, it went a step further tonight and the computer is recognising me put a jack into the microphone slot, but I'm not actually hearing any sound when speaking in to it (through Skype, and Windows' "Listen to this device" feature). I have tried the same headset on another laptop and it's fine.

I want to avoid using the rear slots of the motherboard, because I have out outputs from there, and it's a pain having the wire all the way around the back.

My question is, is it feasible to replace the microphone input located on the front? if so, what do I need to buy?

Thanks a lot

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hi,

If the socket is mounted in the case and has wires that run to a connection on the motherboard you should be able to replace it.

What you will need to buy will be an exact duplicate of what you have. We're on different sides of the pond so I can't suggest a supplier.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 DanielPlumb

DanielPlumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

If the socket is mounted in the case and has wires that run to a connection on the motherboard you should be able to replace it.

Yup, that's exactly as it is.

What you will need to buy will be an exact duplicate of what you have. We're on different sides of the pond so I can't suggest a supplier.

Not really fussed about a supplier at the moment, if I can at least get the name of the product I need to buy and a link you may buy it from (so I can check it against UK Suppliers) then I should be on my way.

Thanks a lot! :)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

You are going to have to look at the 3.5mm socket on your case and see the configuration and how many pins. Here are a few examples of what I mean. You can try to find pink or go for black. There are all kinds on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-3-5mm-Female-Audio-Connector-4-Pin-SMT-Stereo-Phone-Jack-PJ3020D-/181161225664?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2a2e0cedc0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-DIP-PCB-5-Pins-Female-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Jack-Socket-Connector-Pink-/321098045284?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4ac2ef5764

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-Pink-3-5mm-Female-Audio-Connector-5-Pin-DIP-Stereo-Headphone-Jack-PJ3025C-/171330401708?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item27e41675ac

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-Replacements-PCB-Mounting-3-5mm-5-Pin-Jack-Female-Socket-Connector-Pink-/321230507754?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4acad48eea

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

That will give you the socket. Then you will have to decide to reuse the wires and motherboard connector or search for new component.

If you know how to solder you can unsolder the wires, replace the connector with the new one and solder the leads to it.

Carefully done you're going to have to invest about 30 to 45 minutes to resolve the issue.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users