Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PS3 fat ylod

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 karenw993

karenw993

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

I have a PS3 that won't go on, when I try to turn it on a green, yellow then red light flashes and that's it. When I press the power button the fan starts for about only 2 seconds and the lights flash & I get 3 beeps. Is this a hardware component failure and can it be fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

According to the PlayStation website:

"When the power status light goes from green, to yellow, to green, then to a flashing red, this means that they may be an issue with an internal part with in the PS3 system. This may be caused by a variety of reasons and would need to be diagnosed by our support line."

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1733/kw/indicator%20lights/session/L2F2LzIvdGltZS8xNDA1MjgxODYzL3NpZC9BelFJQ2NabA%3D%3D

I have heard of people claiming to have fixed their PS3's when they got the YLOD but they normally involve opening up your PlayStation 3 System, which voids your warranty.

If you still have warranty for your PS3, you should contact Sony.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options/session/L3RpbWUvMTQwNTI4MjIyMy9zaWQvVWFSSUVjWmw%3D

If you want to attempt to fix your PS3 system, you must be comfortable with opening up your system.

You should first identify which system you have before attempting to fix it.

I have found this page that contains interesting information about the YLOD, although it is mainly for people with older PS3s without YLOD, it does contain some interesting information about the YLOD and there is a section for those that already have YLOD. (Use Ctrl+F and type in What if I already have the YLOD? )

http://www.squidoo.com/3-tips-for-a-cooler-running-and-greener-ps3-system-models-cecha01-cechg01-

If you look online you can find lots of videos and tutorials on fixing the PS3 YLOD.

I don't really know which ones to recommend as I am not an expert and have never attempted them, I just thought I would like to share that page ^

NOTE:

I have not attempted any of these fixes and they may not work.

I am not an expert and have only gotten my information from the internet and have never opened or fixed any kind of machine before.

I am not responsible for any damage caused by following my advice...

...or something like that.

Edited by I have a computer..., 13 July 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#3 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

My CECH-A01 60gb just got the YLOD a few days ago. I've had it for over 7 years and am still heartbroken over it. Mine was having symptoms of dying recently, but only when playing PS2 games, never happened when I played PS1 or PS3 games, and I had just played 4 PS1 games before it died, while playing a PS2 game. I would get these lines showing up on the screen when playing PS2 games, normally at the top or bottom of the screen, but sometimes appeared all over. 2 days before it died, it got real bad, the screen was full of lines, and the image was flickering, and almost disappeared. Luckily I was able to back it up before it fully died 2 days later.

I tried seeing if Sony would fix it, but the lady I talked to said they stopped fixing my model 2 months ago. According to other people though, they stopped fixing my model 2 years ago, so who knows.

I plan on trying to find someone to reball it for me. I had a few emails back and forth with this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstation-3-PS3-Reballing-repair-service-One-year-warranty-RoHS-standard-/291290818089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d2492629 about him reballing mine, and he seems pretty legit. The only problem was, people advised me against using him since he uses lead-free solder, which is what was there in the first place, and he should instead use leaded solder for better results. I asked him if he would be willing to use leaded solder if I sent him mine to reball, and he said he would, to just leave a note when I purchase the service. Kinda short on funds at the moment so I haven't gone through with it yet.

Edited by dnap, 03 May 2015 - 06:06 PM.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users