Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Ads from Playing / Loading

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

I hope that this is the right forum. If not, I apologize.

Is there a way to stop ads from playing when you load a website? I am thinking of two types often seen on news websites. The first is a short video ad that plays in a small screen on the site. The second is a pull down ad that pushes the website down for a a few seconds and shows the ad before letting the site scroll back up. (I hope that these descriptions are accurate.)

Any advice on how to deal with these?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

You didn't say which browser you're using so I can't be specific.  In general you want your browser to have the popup blocker enabled.  With Firefox I installed the Adblock Plus add-on which helped a lot.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Most people use Ad Block Plus Add on in Firefox and Chrome or AD Block for Chrome/Chromium. Even with those, some ads get through. I use those AND MVPS Host files. MVPS is a free Monthly File of anywhere from 14,000-15,000 bad URLs, malicious blocks, web bugs, pixel counters and ad servers. I hardly ever see ads anywhere. MVPS has been endorsed on the Kim Komando Radio show for many years. I've used it since 2007 when a friend in Australia had an audible bot saying "Mochi"...."Mochi" in the background every few minutes. After researching how to block such ads on YouTube I found the Host file edit videos and then MVPS. There are a few drawbacks lately though. Some ads won't let you watch the video at all unless you allow the ads first. I don't bother with them, I simply go to youtube and watch the video which most the time is on youtube anyway. In addition, FOX TV shows on Demand full episodes won't work since you're blocking their ad servers with the MVPS hosts file. I've encountered other such things on Sports sites like NHL videos for my favorite Blackhawks. Their video replays haven't been working the last few years IF I have MVPS hosts blocking ad servers of their site. It all depends on IF the ad server violates the requirements to be ON the MVPS host file. Too many want to add things to your PC without your knowledge or spy on you. If it's on the MVPS list? then its for a good reason. I merely change the Host file or turn them off if I really, really want to watch a video or I find an alternate source like YouTube. A Handy program for Windows to change Host file blocks on the fly is Hostsman* It allows updating of new Host files from MVPS and other sources. MVPS is the best though in my opinion. If Ads bother you THAT much? and you also want malicious URL protection from some of the worst offenders out there for the month? then MVPS is a good idea. It slows the PC down and the DNS service in Windows needs to be turned off to regain speed since a host file over a certain amount 514kbs slows browsing. Read about it here 

Luckily, if you dislike it's strong blocking of items you want to see? you can return with to normal Windows Host files with a download from the MVPS page *from Microsoft* that fixes it. I use MVPS on Windows and have copied the Monthly updated file to my Linux side too. 

Edited by TheGreatGarbled, 05 July 2014 - 05:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users