Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Establish Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Thraino

Thraino

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hello!

My computer is experiencing some issues.  It's not allowing me to connect to the Internet; I've tried different browsers, restarted my Internet modem, restarted my computer itself, re-connected to the network.  Nothing works, and it just endlessly loads when connecting to the Internet.  It's for this reason that I believe I'm infected. 

I do have a flash drive and another computer to use, so I can transfer any needed diagnostic tools.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:  Now Firefox won't even load at all.  It just freezes when I attempt to use it.

Edited by Thraino, 05 July 2014 - 04:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

1.  Firefox issue ("Now Firefox won't even load at all"):
1.1.  Sometimes FF won't clear out of memory.
1.2.  Bring up Task Manager and look for all firefox.exe (there may be multiple copies).
1.3.  Terminate all firefox.exe that's there.
1.4.  On start up of FF the next time, you may get a notice about restarting the previous session, tell it no.

2.  Your internet issue.
2.1.  Call your ISP and have them "rebuild" your connection (its a simple step for them).

Best of luck.

#3 Thraino

Thraino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

1.  Firefox issue ("Now Firefox won't even load at all"):
1.1.  Sometimes FF won't clear out of memory.
1.2.  Bring up Task Manager and look for all firefox.exe (there may be multiple copies).
1.3.  Terminate all firefox.exe that's there.
1.4.  On start up of FF the next time, you may get a notice about restarting the previous session, tell it no.

2.  Your internet issue.
2.1.  Call your ISP and have them "rebuild" your connection (its a simple step for them).

Best of luck.

Thank you for responding so quickly!

Is it normal for only one computer on the network to need this "rebuilding" process?  I'm typing this from a laptop that's successfully connected to the same network that my other computer is having trouble connecting to.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

What is the OS of the computer you think is infected and can you give it a Ethernet connection to the internet.

#5 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

Thraino, are you connecting to the internet directly from your modem or are you going through a router?

One thing I've seen a lot of times, especially if it's a HT-1100 or similar model of modem is that those modems and some routers often have conflicting IP addresses. 

If this is the case you can log into your router and on its lan settings page you can change the IP address from (for example) 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and see if that would solve your problem!

Let us know how it goes though please :thumbup2:

#6 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

On the internet connection issue, also try:

1.  Open Command Prompt at the elevated (Admin) level.

2.  At the prompt, enter the command (no quotes): "netsh winsock reset"

3.  At the prompt, enter the command (no quotes): "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"
4.  Reboot

Best of luck.

#7 Thraino

Thraino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

On the internet connection issue, also try:

1.  Open Command Prompt at the elevated (Admin) level.

2.  At the prompt, enter the command (no quotes): "netsh winsock reset"

3.  At the prompt, enter the command (no quotes): "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"
4.  Reboot

Best of luck.

I actually called the internet service provider as you instructed, and she had me do this!

And, what do you know, it's back to normal!  Thank you all so much for the quick input.  I feel slightly silly for thinking this was a malware issue.  I guess I'm just too paranoid for my own good after getting infected a few years ago.

Thanks again!

Edited by Thraino, 05 July 2014 - 05:21 PM.

#8 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

Some malware can affect connections.  I got clobbered in 1995 and have taken an aggressive approach to security since then.  Knock on wood, no viruses, malware, hacks, etc since then.  Trust me, you'll have people that will tell you that being "paranoid", and they'll mock you.

In my case, consider 18.5-19.0 years virus, malware, hack free, a healthy dose of paranoia has paid off.  Every person that mocked me, I got the last laugh :hysterical:, when they got infected, etc.  Some might say me laughing at them is wrong.  But, they were wrong calling me paranoid and mocking me!  I took an aggressive approach after the 1995 situation, and have been clean ever since.  After the ones that mocked me got infected, they asked for help, and I'd tell them: :censored:

Have a great day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users