Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OfflineAFK

OfflineAFK

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hello,

I have 30 Mbps internet but my wireless computer only gets around 9-11mbps. I have a rounter/modem (actiontec) that is about 2 rooms away. Its password protected and the only other electronics using wireless is my phone and ipad. I have full bars but my speed is just 1/3 of what Im paying for. I have a Wireless usb Belkin N card. 

I was just wondering if there was anything I can buy to get closer to the 30 mbps. And I cant use direct ethernet cord hookup to it either unfortunately.

Thank in advance, please let me know if any other info is needed. Its been driving me mad!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

From your post you are obviously aware that the distance between the router and the computer affects performance, as do the materials used in construction and the position and orientation of the aerials used.

Having said that, when you say you have 30Mbps broadband do you mean that that is what is coming to your router through the telephone line, or is it the famous 'up to 30Mbps' as quoted by your ISP and which you are paying for ?

The best thing to do before you get into an argument with your ISP is to run a couple of checks on broadband performance. One very simple one is to run the speedtest.net test. All you have to do for a spot check is to enter 'speedtest.net' into your address bar and click 'go'. Once the page has loaded you can run the test. You don't have to register to get a spot check, but if you do register you can get a log of performance over time. Speedtest is not totally accurate, but, especially over a series of readings, gives quite a good picture of the service you are getting.

The other test is to look at the performance logs in your router. You can access these by typing the IP address for the router into the address bar of your browser then clicking 'go'. You will need the user name and password for the router once you get to its log-in page. A very common IP address for the router is 192.168.0.1 but there are others.

If either, or both, of these tests show that you are getting service significantly worse than your quoted 30Mbps, then you have grounds for taking it up with your ISP. We had a problem with ours - service fell to virtually nothing - and it was eventually tracked down to a cracked aluminium wire in the phone company's junction box about 400 yards away.

If however these tests show that you are getting service reasonably close to the quoted level, say 25Mbps and up, then it is time to start playing around with your equipment. I would look at aerial position first. I use a USB dongle mounted on the front right corner of my tower and if it slips down by as little as 1/2 inch I loose about 25% of my signal.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users