Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to reset permissions, write/copy/rename in certain folders (Plex)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nooneisavailable

nooneisavailable

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi,

I have a weird problem going on here.

I have a few folders, all of which happen to be video folders I use in Plex media server.

I can rename the folders, but I can't copy files into or out of the folders.  I can access the files in the folders, but not do anything else to them.

If I go to advanced security options, the "Everyone" group only has Read & Execute permissions.   The only other permissions have changed to a SID "S-1-5-21-blah blah" and that has full control.  I can't add or remove new permssions (the buttons are greyed out).  Nor can I change the permissions for the Everyone group (Full control and all other checkboxes greyed out)

I changed the owner of the folder to administrator, and I do have an administrator account, but still can't modify permissions.

I disabled all inheritance on the folder.  I even attempted to use to cacls tools from microsoft to change permissions.  Access was denied.  I even wrote a .cmd script w/ cacls and used ETS (Elevate to system from foolish it) to run the script. No luck.

What am I missing here?

I don't know if this is Plex related or not, they just happen to be my Plex folders (and I did quit plex before doing all the steps above).

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm stumped.

Thanks!

Edited by nooneisavailable, 05 July 2014 - 02:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hi,

I changed the owner of the folder to administrator, and I do have an administrator account, but still can't modify permissions.

Try changing the owner to the Administrators group and not to the Administrator user. After that see if you can change the permissions.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 nooneisavailable

nooneisavailable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Excellent. Thank you!  I was able to edit to edit permissions after changing to Administrators.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Good. :thumbup2:

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users