Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access / Harddrive issues - computer hijacked

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gijanrocks13

gijanrocks13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

I no longer have administrator rights on my computer.  I can click on files on the computer, but I cannot copy or remove the file to a different location.

When I click on c drive the pop up says location is not available        C:\is not accessible     Access is denied

I went to the control panel  - I tried to check security  Message stated  The WIndows Security Center service can't be started

I went to system restore  in an attempt to restore computer to an earlier point Message stated  System Restore could not start

I went to some forums and tried to assess the system from the cmd prompt  It tell me access is denied contact your administrator

I am currently in Europe - I took to a computer shop, he used an HDD disk, but had difficulty in having the computer read the disk.

He stated that the harddrive was probably fragile (he could not determine the true status of the drive) and I might have a hard drive failure soon.

He did add driver software installation which stated the following (have not rebooted yet)

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C ATA Device                                                         Ready to use

TOSHIBA MK5055GSX ATA Device                                                                       Finished, start required

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller                                                            Ready to use

ATA Channel 0                                                                                                       Ready to use

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller                                                            Finished, start required

ATA Channel 0                                                                                                       Ready to use

ATA Channel 1                                                                                                       Ready to use

ATA Channel 1                                                                                                       Finished, start required

harddrive was removed from laptop, but access was denied to harddrive outside the computer.

Is there anyway, that I can regain control of my computer administrator rights, remove whatever is on the computer in order to back up and save the files on the computer.

What are my options for recovering information if the harddrive fails?

Thank-you for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Not knowing what version of Windows you have prevents me from being very specific.  If you can get a repair disc (for Windows 7) or USB drive (for Windows 8.1), you can boot from that, go to the command prompt, and copy any data you don't want to lose to an external hard drive or flash drive.  From the command prompt you can use the Xcopy command.  If you need to know the syntax, just type xcopy /? and it will tell you.  Another option would be to boot from a Linux disc like Ubuntu, Mint, or Puppy and do the copies.  You can download the Ubuntu ISO from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop then burn it to a DVD.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users