Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Needs To Close

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 traceyvdw

traceyvdw

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

Hello!
For the past 3-4 months i have been getting a message like this pop up on my screen in an anoying little blue and white box -

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." This is also in the box that pops up: "AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: radhslib.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00003b6f"

It happens when i am surfing the web. the connection does not close right away but will eventualy shut down and i am left looking at my desktop. This is a problem as i loose what ever info i have at the time and generally just ticks me off. (My kids are mad because they can no longer visit Barbies web site for very long without getting kicked off.)

I have been searching the internet for information on what is happening and have been advised to do the following:
*click on Tools-internet options- advanced- click on enable 3rd party browser extensions. (did that- still have problem)
*run scan disk &defrag for internet files, temporary files, and recycle bin. (did that - sill problem)
*download spybot and fix what it says to (did that -still problem)

There is a lot of info out there but most of it requires more brain cells than i am able to part with right now. I just want to be able to surf the web without being thrown off!!
If anyone is able to tell me in as plain of English as possible, i would be forever happy and will consider naming my next child or puppy (which ever comes 1st) after you. :thumbsup:
I have very little computer knowledge and please do not assume i know what a browser is or what cookies are. (i did figure out what the browser was a few months ago and i know you cannot eat cookies but am blank beyond that.)
I am a good person with (probably) some bad adware. please help.
Thank you
Tracey
"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life," (During an interview to become Spokesperson for federal anti-smoking campaign.) Model, movie and TV actress Brooke Shields.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:10 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

I would recommend following the Preparation Guide to posting a HiJackThis log. You may not need to actually post a log, however. If you follow the instuctions in the Preparation Guide faithfully then your computer may be cleaned. However, rarely is a computer infected with only one thing, and it is possible that some of them will not get removed using this method.

If after completing all of the steps in the Preparation Guide you continue to have issues, post a HiJackThis log as instructed in the Preparation Guide.

PREPARATION GUIDE

If you have any questions regarding any part of the instructions, don't hestitate to ask, because we will answer your questions or direct you to a tutorial that will explain the answer.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 29 May 2006 - 08:10 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 traceyvdw

traceyvdw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:46 PM

Hello
thanks for taking the time to reply Albert F.

I have done everything up to #5 in the Preparation Guide. (so far, so good.) I am worried that if i have Housecall scan and clean my computer that i will end up signed up to a service for 3 years or something along those lines and my husband will again roll his eyes and say "what did you sign up for now".

Also, that site reccomends that i make a "back up" on a "separate media". i do not know how to do that.

As far as i can tell the scan and the cleaning are free the first time??? do you know?
How can i find out how to make a back up and what kind of "media" to use?

Thanks for any help.
Tracey
"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life," (During an interview to become Spokesperson for federal anti-smoking campaign.) Model, movie and TV actress Brooke Shields.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

The Housecall scan is free.
You can use it as often as you want to.
It's a scan that's recommended on this board, often.
99% of the programs recommended by members, will be free.
This topic, Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps, has a lot of free programs, recommended, and tested to be malware free, by our members.

"back up" on a "separate media" refers to copying all of your personal stuff (documents, E-mails, pictures, etc.), to a CD, or floppy disc (removable media).
That way, if there's a problem. you won't loose your personal stuff.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 traceyvdw

traceyvdw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

Oh! Thanks tg1911.
I will go now and use the Housecall. You know what they say, if is too good to be true.....
I will also copy what i need to keep in case of a problem. Why can they not just say "you need to make copies of your stuff just in case"?
Thank you for replying!
Tracey

#6 traceyvdw

traceyvdw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

I think i am having a problem. Most likey all is well and i am just confused. :thumbsup:
I have downloaded the hijackthis thing. when i go to my documents to open it i get a little box that says "To unzip all files in hijackthis_sfx.exe to the specified folder press the unzip button." So i pressed the button. i was told it was unzipped successfuly but then nothing happened. so i went to my documents and doubleclicked on it again and the same thing happened. Same box, i clicked on unzip.
Is something suppose to happen? did i do something wrong?
(I have not been kicked off the internet in 2 days so i think "it" might be all better anyway.)
Thanks for the help!
Tracey

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:50 PM

To unzip all files in hijackthis_sfx.exe to the specified folder

What was the specified folder? Did you notice what it was?

Try this:

Go to Start > My Computer > C: > Program Files

Do you see a folder in there named HiJackThis? If so, open it and there is the program! It is best to run it right from there. Double click on the icon and it will start. The icon looks like this:

Posted Image

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 30 May 2006 - 03:52 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 traceyvdw

traceyvdw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hey, that worked! Thanks(.....was a little scary as my computer told me i shouldn't be messing around in there. but all seems well)
So now i have this list of stuff that means nothing to me but the fact that i have not been kicked off the internet in 2 days probably means it is fixed......right?? (Unless i have a problem in the near future i do not need to post on the HiJackThis log. correct?)

Will all the things i downloaded in the preparation keep this from happening again?
too many questions?
:thumbsup: Thanks again for the help. I plan on looking around the site in my spare time.
Tracey
PS the specified folder was C:\Program Files\HijackThis.

Edited by traceyvdw, 30 May 2006 - 05:39 PM.

#9 traceyvdw

traceyvdw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

spoke too soon!! i got the dreaded blue and white box today :Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.............!!

I posted in the HijackThis forum.

so, sad.... :thumbsup:

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:21 PM

It looks like you did well!

LINK to traceyvdw 's log.

It is hard to tell if your issue is related to malware or not, but I think you are doing the right thing by checking it out first. Let's see what the experts in the HiJackThis forum have to say about your log. Please be patient as there is a little backlog of unanswered logs at the moment!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users