Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tvdebug.log

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dtietje

dtietje

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:34 PM

I've been trying to find a way to delete the contents of the file tvDebug.log , and can't seem to find one. I know this is a log formed by Zone Alarm and is used to help with problems, should I have any, and the "tv" stands for "True Vector", a program used by ZA. However, this file is 4GB! I don't have a large hard drive, and it's taking up WAY too much space. I imagine Zone Alarm needs this file, but I just want to delete the contents if I can. I've tried a program called "Dellater" ( I think that's what it's called), and it didn't work. I've tried closing Zone Alarm due to the message that "the file is being accessed by another program", and it didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

D

Edited by dtietje, 29 May 2006 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:49 PM

Have you tried doing it in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dtietje

dtietje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but I will. Do you think that deleting this file will cause problems with Zone Alarm? Or will ZA just create another file?

Thanks for the suggestion.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

Not sure.
I don't use ZA.
Why don't you hold off, until you can get some more responses to this post.
Don't want to do anything that might corrupt your Firewall.

I'm going to move this post to a more appropriate forum.

Edited by tg1911, 29 May 2006 - 07:08 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 dtietje

dtietje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

Unfortunately, it's a company laptop and I have to run Zone Alarm to access my VPN. I'll wait and see, like you suggested.

Thanks,
D

#6 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:18 PM

maybe these will help you?

http://www.a1-electronics.net/General_Inte...inXP_Tips.shtml

http://www.computergripes.com/ZoneAlarm.html

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me...74a60050857fd8=

they don't make a whole lot of sense to me, but maybe you will understand them :thumbsup:

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:22 PM

Ccleaner will clean those logs in Zone Alarm for you. You can also choose to not save a log or delete the log contents in ZA settings.

Edited by buddy215, 29 May 2006 - 07:37 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 dtietje

dtietje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

ambellina, I just got a whole lot of useful info (I hope), from the links you posted. Thank you so much. I'll try the recommendations from the links.

buddy215, what is Ccleaner, and how do I get it?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:40 PM

www.CCleaner.com

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

ambellina, I just got a whole lot of useful info (I hope), from the links you posted. Thank you so much. I'll try the recommendations from the links.

you're welcome :thumbsup: i hope they help!

#11 dtietje

dtietje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:54 PM

I'm gonna try to get rid of some of these, but first, does anyone know what the "xDB.tmp" logs are for? I'm tempted to delete them since they're temp files and some are big.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:59 PM

did you check out the home page for ccleaner? It will clean your computer of all temp files in seconds! Easy to use. Small download. I use it almost daily. About the only thing I choose not to delete is the cookies and passwords. It will clean IE and Firefox browsers.

#13 dtietje

dtietje
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:02 PM

I'll check out ccleaner. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cause any problems. Do I really need any TMP files? Or can I delete them all?

#14 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:56 PM

from personal experience, i don't think ccleaner would cause you any problems. the only thing that i would recommend being wary of is, with its defaults, it will clean out a lot of your passwords and login information for, or just log you out of, a lot of websites. but thats just a very small inconvenience, and i b'lieve it can be changed in the internet explorer/firefox menu of ccleaner :thumbsup: and it can clean out of HEFTY bit of unused junk, and thats always nice! (it nearly got a whole gig of old useless temp files off of my computer)

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:54 PM

CCleaner is a very good program, if used properly. and very dangerous, if not.
Unless you are very comfortable working in the Registry, leave everything under the Issues section, un-checked.
Removing the wrong Registry entry, could render your computer inoperable.

To save the cookies you don't want to delete:

Open CCleaner, and click on Options.
Click the Cookies tab.
In the box on the left, you'll see a list of the cookies you have on your machine.
The box on the right, is for the cookies you want to keep.
Between the two, are 2 arrows, one pointing right, and the other pointing left.
In the box on the left, click the cookie you want to save, then click on the arrow pointing to the right.
That will move the cookie to the protected side.
Do the opposite, to remove a cookie from the protected side.
Anything on the right, will not be detected when CCleaner does a scan, so any cookies reported, can be safely cleaned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users