Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about windows defender

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sume

sume

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

not sure I'm in right place but my qusetionis .....do I need windows defender if I have SpywareBlaster

and free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free) on my windows7 computer

thanks

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2014 - 10:27 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

I've never used SpywareBlaster, but from reading about it in Wikipedia and other places I get the impression it's not a full antivirus program.  Wikipedia says "SpywareBlaster blocks the installation of most ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers and other unwanted programs from the user's computer."  Malwarebytes is a malware checker, but not an antivirus program.  You need both a spyware checker and an antivirus program, but you can't have more than one antivirus program.  Personally I use the free Malwarebytes and Norton Security Suite which I get free from Comcast. 

If you have an antivirus program, Defender will disable itself.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 05 July 2014 - 10:01 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

1)  Malwarebytes is a malware checker, but not an antivirus program.  

2)  You need both a spyware checker and an antivirus program, but you can't have more than one antivirus program.

3)  If you have an antivirus program, Defender will disable itself.

1)  Malwarebytes is an antimalware program which scans for malware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).  This is one of the best antimalware programs out there currently, this includes the free version as well.

2)  First and foremost you need a good antivirus program.  There are several freeware programs that are good.  Avast is one of the better ones.  After you have a good antivirus you should have a good antimalware program and spyware program.  Malwarebytes Antimalware has already been mentioned and gets my vote.  As for a antispyware program, SUPERAntiSpyware is still considered to be a good program.

3)  Windows Defender in Windows 7 this is not true.  In Windows 8 once Windows Defender is enabled it will be disabled automatically when another antivirus is installed.

Window Defender in Windows 7 is not a antivirus, it is in Windows 8.  You can run Windows Defender in Windows 7 with an active antivirus, you can't in Windows 8, this is why it is disabled when another antivirus is installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 sume

sume
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

thanks

I'm using avast as my antivirus so I guess I don't have to upddae win defender

Edited by sume, 05 July 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

Windows Defender is an anti-spyware tool intended to supplement your anti-virus program. The version of Windows Defender included with all versions of Windows 7 and Vista is part of the operating system so it cannot be uninstalled but it can be disabled and it's service turned off.

Microsoft recommends that you schedule a daily Quick Scan to check the areas of your computer that malware is most likely to infect.

Windsows Defender incorporates other features and tools such as Software Explorer which allows users to view detailed information about programs that are running on their systems. It can also be used as a startup programs manager or as a replacement for the Windows Task Manager. Software Explorer can monitor:
  • Startup programs, which run automatically when you start Windows.
  • Programs currently running on the screen or in the background.
  • Network-connected programs or processes that can connect to the Internet, or network.
  • Winsock service providers, which perform low-level networking and communication services for Windows and programs that run on Windows.
However, if you're using another effective anti-malware scanner such as Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, there's not much point in keeping Windows Defender enabled.

SpywareBlaster is a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software and blocks tracking cookies. SpywareBlaster also includes the ability to keep encrypted backup copies of the Hosts file so if its altered by malware infection, you can easily restore a good backup copy.

Unlike many other security tools, SpywareBlaster is not intrusive as it does not run in the background...it focuses on prevention and passive protection without utilizing unnecessary running processes or consuming system (CPU, memory) resources. The program only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again. Since SpywareBlaster does not use a real-time protection module, it supplements your existing security software without causing any conflicts. SpywareBlaster can be used with Internet Explorer and many other popular browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Netscape, Seamonkey, Flock and several more (see here).

How does SpywareBlaster actually work? It adds sites to the restricted zones by adding the domain as a subkey under the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. A dword is then added to that domain named * and given a hex value of 4 to specify that it is part of the Restricted Sites Zone. More specifically, Spywareblaster sets the "killbit" on the CLSID (Class ID) of known spyware. Every program has a CLSID that is unique to the type of program. Once Spywareblaster enables (writes) those killbits they are "locked in" and any identified spyware cannot be opened. Spywareblaster writes these killbits in and then stays off until you need to re-write them again with an update. Why is all this important? Some types of malware are known to alter Trusted Zones, Ranges and ProtocolDefaults set for a browser.

For more information, see:If you're not sure how to use SpywareBlaster, please refer to the How to use SpywareBlaster to protect your computer tutorial. In addition to explaining how to use the tool, the tutorial covers other built-in tools and features.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users