Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Piece of advise, when dealing with your ISP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

For over a year, I've had continuous issues with my ISP.  We're basically locked into them, because satellite is slower, capped and more expensive.  Cable service ends about a mile down the road, and dial-up is out of the question.

I won't go into the details, but it boils down to, it has been their issue each time, but they always want to blame the customer (me).  At times they'll say it's the modem, they send me a new one, and the problems persist.  Right now I have 6 modems (note 1).  Two that would require an external router, and are slower; and 4 router/modems combos.

I had an issue just a little bit ago, and all is fine now, with no help from the tech, for all practical purposes.  However, now that the background info is in place, here's my recommendations.

1.  Keep notes, in the manner that is easiest to you (note 2).
2.  Make note of everything you do before calling them, like rebooting the computer, power cycling the modem, etc.
3.  Make note of everything said during the call, and what was done.
4.  Make note of what the modem lights looked like.  For example:
4.1.  Power - On
4.2.  DSL - Flash
4.3.  Internet - Off
4.4.  Wireless - On
4.5.  Hard wire off - not using
4.6.  Ethernet - Flashing
5.  Don't use the "800" number, use the non-800 number.  In this way, you have some proof that you did call them, and it will show on your phone bill.  I've had times that the Tech failed to document things, and this was proof that I called in.  There are quite a few sites that allow you to get the non-800 number, but I use:

http://ecorporateoffices.com

6.  IN THE USA, contrary to popular belief, it is legal to record your phone calls.  Federal law leaves it up to each state.  Then it depends on the state, if it is a single party notice (only you need to know it's being recorded), or all party notice (all must consent to the recording).  If you're in a single party notice state, then record the call.

7.  When getting the number in item 5 above, figure out how to also get the extension of the people that work for the CEO/President.  I have a direct number and e-mail for a person in that office for my ISP.

8.  If you continue to have problems with your ISP, notify the FCC.  On 2014_05_05 I filed a formal complaint against my ISP.  Although the FCC can't act for each individual consumer, they will have record of complaints, and maybe your's will be the one that will push them to the point in being able to take action.

I hope that this gives you some good suggestions to protect yourself against your ISP and the "stuff" they pull.

Notes:
1.  I have modem "insurance".  The last time they sent me a new modem, they wanted me to send it back (the older one).  I told them in no uncertain terms, they weren't going to get it back.  I paid for it, because of my "premiums", and it was my property.
2.  I use "EssentialPIM Free" and keep my notes in bullet form, with a new node for each date.  For example:

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 05 July 2014 - 11:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users