Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite Loop BSOD - Extremely Persistent

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stofficus

Stofficus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Hello, 

I've been fighting with a rather persistent BSOD on my PC for some time now, and I feel like I've exhausted what I can do with my own skillset, and am hoping someone here might be able to help. 

Here's the situation; for the last several months, my PC has been suffering a "Device caught in infinite loop" BSOD across a multiple of programs. VLC media player has set it off once or twice, but the overwhelming majority of the time has been various PC games; Company of Heroes 2 crashes at the end of every game, Rome Total War crashes after about half an hour, though some, like Battlefield 3 work no problem, there doesn't seem to be much rhyme nor reason to to the crashes, but they are very consistent. 

Now, I know the usual culprits, especially considering it's audio/visual programs which are causing this, and have purged and reinstalled the most up-to-date drives I can get my hands on. In particular, I wiped some old, left-over drivers from previous hardware using Driver Sweeper, and hoped that would end the problem. Alas, no such luck. 

The link below is my speccy profile. I have also attached the results from MiniToolBox, including devices listed with problems.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/aTfFk011hPc5VXi4d8yMWQj

Attached File  Result.txt   42.71KB   3 downloads

I'm willing to wipe my PC and just go from scratch, but as this is a bit of a franken-computer, I'd rather avoid the hastle of getting everything working again if at all possible. Additionally, as these BSODs are as predictable as the tides, I can easily record the specific stop errors if they would be useful, just let me know and I'll spend ten minutes in Company of Heroes, exit, and viola, blue. 

Any help or direction would be enormously appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

Hi Stofficus. Your last windows updates received were from 2012? Did you happen to have turned off Windows update? Service Pack 1 is also needed for your Windows Edition for compatibility issues, fixes and security patches. See also here just in case you're windows update is not functioning. Learn how to install Service Pack 1. The correct AMD driver for your video card should be downloaded from this site. Use the Custom install to select the driver only and or additional functions/features when on the harwdware setup for your video card.

Edited by jhayz, 05 July 2014 - 12:06 AM.

Tekken

#3 Stofficus

Stofficus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

Hi Jhayz,

Thanks for the quick reply; I'm a bit irrationally paranoid about Windows Update, I generally leave it off unless there's something I specifically need. In this case, SP1 certainly helped matters. I'm still suffering the same BSOD, but it is occuring far less frequently; only twice today, versus a good 15 times yesterday, despite using the same crash-prone game. 

Now, this current state will be tolerable for the next few months before I replace this PC wholesale, if there's anything else I might do to reduce the crash rate further, I'm all ears. 

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

You can remove all outdated Java and install the latest version. Internet Explorer also needs to be updated including your Flash Player plugins. Have you installed the video driver from the link already? Check also your temperatures using free Speedfan or HWMonitor during gaming activities once in a while to confirm its not a heating problem that is causing this crashes overall. Otherwise, lower some video settings (resolution, overclocking) or check for updates or patches from those particular softwares.

Tekken

#5 Stofficus

Stofficus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

I had already installed the 14.4 driver before this issue cropped up, and temps are all in the green according to speedfan, as is resource usage; RAM use is a bit high, but tops out at 80%, though it may be that there's a severe spike for some reason at the moment of the crash, but I am unsure as how I might test that. 

I'll try updating Java, though I don't use IE, but I'll update it all the same just to eliminate variables and get back to you. 

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

If the Bluescreen is still persistent, we need to check on the dump files. Additional steps then is needed by reading the instructions below.

Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Do you see any dmp logs from the folder?  If yes, then read the instruction of the second paragraph below.If not, configure small memory dump debugging information under startup and recovery.

> Right-click My Computer and choose Properties.
> Go to Advanced System Settings - Advance Tab.
> Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings...
> Look for 'write debugging information' and use small memory dump
> Checkmark overwrite any existing file

If there are latest created minidumps under C:\Windows\Minidump folder, please post the latest dmp logs (atleast 5) by :
Note : If dmp logs from minidump folder is not allowed due to security or admin permission problem, disable UAC control temporarily
or see this link.
> Highlight (holding ctrl key) and choosing the latest dmp logs by hitting enter or left mouse click.
> Right-click and choose send to desktop.
> When on desktop, highlight all dmp logs and right-click and send to compressed zipped folder.
> Upload and share the link by registering here https://www.box.com/
* minidumps log sample 010613 - 16676 -01.dmp -> 01 is for month - 06 for day - 13 is for year.
* If you use any 3rd party software such as Ccleaner, please uncheck the minidumps box so as not to remove the dump files next time.

Tekken

#7 Stofficus

Stofficus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Alright, here's the link to the last 5 minidumps, from the 5th and 4th of July. https://app.box.com/s/np37k6lkvmia5f72enxt

Now, I've stumbled across something a bit different in the interim. Namely, most programs are failing to even launch at the moment. My computer keeps getting hung up on loading screens, whether it's a video game or even simple stuff like GIMP. My own investigation has turned up that there's something seriously wrong with my RAM; usage steadily climbs while loading most programs up to just why of 100% before locking up. 

Frankly, I don't think this PC is within saving. I've opted to order a slew of replacement parts, basically everything but the video card and DVD drive. More money than I wanted to spend at the moment, but I've had enough of this troubled frankenputer. However, I'd still appreciate some insight onto the Bluescreens, if I knew what triggered them, perhaps I could avoid it in the future. 

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Hi stofficus,

The bugcheck refers to the video card as STOP 0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x000000EA

Usual causes:  Device driver, Faulty hardware

The system requirements for the driver in Windows 7 stated that in order for the AMD video card to be installed and work correctly is that service pack 1, .NET Frameworks should have come first and up to date. Since the problem occurred when correct video driver were installed while SP1 is missing, it would be safe to take this route of reinstalling Windows, chipset driver, install service pack 1 then the correct video driver assuming that the card is not also faulty as one of the BSOD causes.

Edit : http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GraphicsDriverInstallationInstructionforMicrosoftWindows7.aspx

Edited by jhayz, 07 July 2014 - 09:53 PM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users