Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very low priced, new Toshibas

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

I know I asked about this before or something like it, but I can't find through a search of the forum.

Toshiba is advertising various notebook/laptop computers and one of them is $260 for 500 GB hard disc, 2 GM memory, Windows 8.1. Celeron N2830 processor.  15.6 inch screen.  Satellite C55-B5299.

What should be the expected disadvantage of something like that. That price is LOW.  Why or how can Toshiba do this?  Nothing in the announcement said "refurbished".  From what I can tell, this is just a new computer. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

I purchased a C55D-A5380 last October, price $260. And I can't find much to complain about the laptop itself. Now Windows 8, don't get me going. I use it mostly to play videos on my TV via the HDMI cable.

ETA: One complaint is that I still haven't figured out how to install a Linux OS as a dual boot.

Edited by Bezukhov, 04 July 2014 - 06:29 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

All that machine is going to be good for is very basic computing, web browsing, and that's about it.  It is going to be slow due to the 2GB of RAM.  Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users