Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop isn't acting right.Windows is loading files... page

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

strike F1 reboot

strike F2 Setup

SATA 1 installed

SATA 2 none

SATA 3 none

SATA 4 installed

Above is data that would be reflected by BIOS, not SeaTools for DOS.  Something is wrong, either the disk was not burned properly or your motherboard/SMOS is somewhat messed up.  I can't ascertain which...from here.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2014 - 08:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

I'm pretty sure this will be a "not smart" question but...

I just tried your suggestion to take the hard drive out of my computer and try it in a working computer.

The working computer started up, but the screen was the screen that computer usally opens with and the programs were the programs that computer has.

And I'm confused because WHY would the working computer open IT'S usual stuff with MY HARD DRIVE?

Maybe this working computer has two hard drives? And the hard drive in the working computer - which  I disconnected so I could connect my questionable hard drive - well, that working computer's disconnected hard drive isn't doing anything

but another hard drive on the system is open?

And my" questionable hard drive" is connected to the working computer but not open?

Does this make sense?

#33 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

Just answered my own question. This working computer DOES have two hard drives.

Need to disconnect both of them before trying my "questionable hard drive" to find out if it is a working one.

#34 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Sorry, I seem to have lost contact with this thread for a few days - no idea why !

Your #27 :-  CD / DVD drive = optical drive . The two terms are interchangeable and mean exactly the same thing, a drive that will read and write to a CD or DVD.

Your #32 and #33. Taking a hard drive from one computer and plugging it into a spare SATA connector on another (you need to connect power to it as well) is a very common servicing technique but you DO NOT disconnect the hard drives in the computer you are temporarily plugging it into. If there is a shortage of SATA connectors you can disconnect one drive, but definitely NOT the one with that computer's operating system on.

The reason is that your hard drive contains system specific files for running your computer, and the hard drive in the other computer contains specific files for running that computer - and needs them to make it run.

You connect your hard drive to another computer to see if your hard drive is working, to see if you can read and write to it, or even just to see if it can be recognised in Windows Explorer.

When you connect your hard drive to the second computer, what I would expect to see in 'Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' is :-

C:\  - the drive with the second computer's OS on it.

D:\  - the second hard drive you say is installed on this computer

E:\  - the CD / DVD drive (optical drive) installed on this computer (some systems only list CD/DVD drives when there is a disc in them)

F:\  - YOUR hard drive from your computer.

If your hard drive doesn't show up here, try a re-boot with it still connected. Then see if it shows up this time. If it doesn't, the drive is probably dead. Assuming it does show up, then you will be in the happy position of being able to copy all the important data - your own stuff - to an external drive, and then be able to run the Seagate diagnostic on your drive.

Back up your data - ie copy it to another drive - BEFORE you run the Seagate diagnostic. If the Seagate diagnostic shows a lot of problems with your hard drive, well you have your data backed up and replacement drives are reasonably cheap.

Chris Cosgrove

#35 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hi Chris,

I checked the drives on the working computer first.

C: working computer's hard drive

D: DVD RW Drive

J: BD ROM Drive

Q: microsoft office click to run

Unplugged working computer. Opened. A multi colored wire with P3 is connected to this working computer and a flat orange ribbon is connected to the SATA.

The only other multi colored wire is...

labeled P4 and the other end of this multi colored wire  is connected to the P3 which is in this working computer's hard drive.

I used this P4 multi colored wire to connect to the hard drive that I am  trying to find out if it's dead or alive.

I used a flat ribbon cord from my "dead" computer to connect to another SATA.

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE I CONNECTED THIS HARD DRIVE CORRECTLY?

I plugged in and turned on the working computer. It took longer for it to start up - about 3 minutes not 1 or less.

It opened. I checked computer. NOT RECOGNIZED. All drives are listed as above. Nothing extra.

I rebooted.

Still not listed.

IF I CONNECTED IT CORRECTLY, then it appears I have a dead hard drive.

AGREE?

#36 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

If it makes you feel any better - you are not alone. I was just about to start this reply when my router decided it didn't want to speak to the web any more !

Assuming you had the power and data leads connected properly, and by now you should know what they look like, I fear this drive is dead. I can only assume that the Firefox problem that brought you here in the first place was a symptom of pending failure.

Since you say you have everything of significance on it backed up, then it is just a matter of buying a new hard drive, fitting it, and installing Windows and all your other applications. If you already have a Windows install disc this makes life easier. If you don't, you can use any install disc with your own existing COA number. There exists the possibility that the install may not register properly with MS, but a phone call to them will sort that out. A hard drive replacement is considered a repair. It's when you put in a new mother board that MS consider it a new computer.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users