Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop isn't acting right.Windows is loading files... page

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 javajanet

javajanet

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hi,

Desktop started taking a while to load web pages with our firefox browser...a continuous spinning circle and then not responding messages.

So I researched and then read to gointo our firewall and add firefox as an accepted program.

Restarted computer.

Now a black screen with a long white strip and the words windows is loading files...  is sitting on my screen. HELP! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Well, now it has moved on to a startup repair window and is continuing to run a blue line above the searching for problems ...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

If the problem is only related to browser use...then uninstall/reinstall the browser would seem to be an easy attempt to correct.

Checking the add-ons enabled might be wise, even after reinstalling or resetting the browser.

Louis

#4 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

Hello!

Agree. Can you get me "back in" to do your suggestions?

I am  now past the startup repair window, past the automatic restart of the computer, to the usual page where I enter my password to open the operating system.

I can move the mouse anywhere but I can't type in my password to get to the next page! This is a new thing - the computer doesn't recognize that I am trying to type in my password! HELP!

#5 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

And the mouse will move on this page but it won't click the only available choices on this page - a blue circle with a white arrow pointing to the right beside the white box where I usually can type in my password, or the blue square in the bottom left corner with a white circle in it (never used so not sure what it does), and then the red rectangle on the bottom right with a white circle with a line in it beside a white arrow pointing up.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

See if you can get the computer to start in 'Safe mode'. To do this, press the 'On' button then tap the 'F8' key several times while the BIOS screen is showing. This will do either of two things (1) take you direct to the boot choice screen (white text on a black background) with, at the top, three 'Safe mode' choices - choose 'with networking', or (2) take you to a screen listing the drives attached to your computer. Choose the one that has your Windows on it, then press 'F8' again and it should take you to the screen to select 'Safe mode'.

On both screens in (1) and (2) you will need to use the up and down arrow keys to make your selection as your mouse will not work at this point.

Once you are in 'Safe mode', see if you can uninstall Firefox. You will know when you are in 'Safe mode' - black background, large icons, and 'Safe mode' in each corner.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

Hello,

Couldn't get it to boot up in safe mode with F8 key.

Restarted again and had choice of F1 reboot or F2 setup utility.

Selected F2 and on setup utility page.

Not sure if I can get to safe mode from this page.

Advise! Thanks.

Choices are...

system info

advanced BIOS features

etc.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

Better late than never, but can you give us the basic details on this computer - make and model - or if it is a self-build, make and model of the mobo, the amount of RAM, size of hard drive(s), processor and OS version. It is always helpful to quote these details in your first post on any topic.

However, it sounds like it is time to do a repair install. If you have an original Win 7 installation disc, put that in the drive and re-boot. It will boot from the disc - if it doesn't, you may need to change the boot priority order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD drive first. When it boots, you will come to a screen that gives you the choice to install or repair, choose 'Repair' and let it go through the various routines and it should boot to allow you to do the uninstall/re-install suggested by Louis.

If you don't have the original install disc, then you can make a Windows repair disc by going to the BC tutorial here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/

You will of course need access to another computer to do the download and burn the disc. Note that these discs come in two flavours - 32 and 64 bit - and you need the correct one. If you don;t know if you are running 32 or 64 bit Windows, then burn one of each. Using the wrong one will do absolutely no harm, it just won't work.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

Make - Dell

Model - Inspiron 570

I don't know the amount of RAM

or the size of the hard drive,

or the processor

but the OS version is Windows 7.

I tried the original Win 7 installation disc. That didn't work. Only opens same page with F1 reboot or F2 setup utility choices.

I made a Windows repair disc by going to the BC tutorial here -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/.

It only opens that same page with the F1 or F2 choices.

I also changed the boot priority order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD drive first.

I still can't get to the install or repair choice.

#10 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Black screen with White words...

No boot device available

Strike the F1 key to reboot, F2 to run the set up utility

SATA 1 : None

SATA 2  : None

SATA 3  : None

SATA 4  : None

This is what comes up on my screen when I turn my computer on.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for your post #10. What this is saying is that for some reason your computer is not finding any hard drives attached to this computer.

As a first step, go into your BIOS and see if there are any hard drives listed at all, and if there are, see if you can set the one with Windows on it - if you have more than one - as the master drive.

If the BIOS says you don't have any hard drives, then switch off your computer, switch off the switch on the back of it, at the PSU, or unplug it from the wall, then press the 'Start' button. This will discharge any residual power in the computer. Then take the side panel off your computer and touch some part of the metal case before you go any further. This will neutralise any static electricity on you. Once you have done this, disconnect the SATA lead to your hard drive at both ends and re-connect, then do the same for the power lead. If you have more than one drive, do this one drive at a time to avoid confusion.

Replace the side panel, turn the power back on and start up the computer, then go into the BIOS and see if it sees any drives now. If you do, just exit the BIOS without saving and let the computer carry on with a boot. If you still don't get it to boot, or if the BIOS still doesn't see any drives, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

So... my nephew looked at this computer the other day ... and did not reconnect the cables to my hard drive!

I did your above directions and opened up the computer and connected a small

connector with a blue wire and a large one with a black, yellow, and orange wires.

I am not sure about the "go in to the BIOS" part. How do I get there to check on hard drive status?

When I restarted the computer after connecting the hard drive...

my screen I had -

DELL Inspiron on a black screen.

I selected one of the two possible choices - F2.

I am currently on the CMOS setup utility blue screen with white words.

One choice here is advanced BIOS features. It list CPU feature and USB device setting.

Is this where I should see hard drive?

Also - I tried to see if the  CD to repair was recognized  yet- it isn't, even though my hard drive is now reconnected. (or so I think it is!)

#13 green_orange

green_orange

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

I selected one of the two possible choices - F2.

I am currently on the CMOS setup utility blue screen with white words.

One choice here is advanced BIOS features. It list CPU feature and USB device setting.

Is this where I should see hard drive?

Also - I tried to see if the  CD to repair was recognized  yet- it isn't, even though my hard drive is now reconnected. (or so I think it is!)

The blue screen is what he meant :) BIOS setup or CMOS setup

It's where u should see the hard drive to check if it's detected. Also set it to boot priority no.1 if it's not there.

EDIT:

About the CD thing, u should go to boot order menu (usually by pressing F12) and choose boot from dvd/cd or go to the CMOS setup (by pressing F2) and go to "boot" then make the cd/dvd drive the first thing in boot order.

Edited by green_orange, 08 July 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#14 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

I choose boot from dvd/cd for the first choice and selected save and exit on the F2 CMOS setup utility blue screen with white words.

NEXT...

I pushed the button on the tower to turn off the computer and then I turned it back on.

Now my screen is black and it says...

A disk read error occurred

Press Ctfl+Alt+ Del to reRECOVERY and then four symbols that I don't have keys on this keyboard to type for you!

NEXT suggestion?

I have the Windows 7 intended for distribution with a new PC 32 bit software CD.

Try it instead of the one I made at the BC tutorial  that gave me this reRECOVERY error message?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/.

#15 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

OK - I took the cover off and connected the hard drive. Didn't seem to work right since I got that reRECOVERY error message.

So.. I took the cover off again and saw a blue wire that wasn't connected. Connected it. Put in the Windows CD and my computer started up with the windows logo and the white lines and little bird. I had the windows CD in the drive so the page that says install windows or repair windows came up  - which I believe is what you're talking about in post #8 ...

"However, it sounds like it is time to do a repair install. If you have an original Win 7 installation disc, put that in the drive and re-boot. It will boot from the disc - if it doesn't, you may need to change the boot priority order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD drive first. When it boots, you will come to a screen that gives you the choice to install or repair, choose 'Repair' and let it go through the various routines."

So... I choose Repair and then a window comes up that says...

use recovery tools to fix problems with windows.

Select an operating system to repair (but nothing is listed in the box to select).

The other choice is restore your computer with a system image that you created earlier (which I didn't do so that's not a choice either.)

Suggestions please!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users